Dr. Ashok Yadav, HOD Dept. Of Practice of Medicine (Hom.) Dr. M.P.K. Homoeopathic Medical College, Hospital and Research Center. Homoeopathy University, Jaipur.
Dr. Bhupendra Arya , MD Scholar, Department of Practice of Medicine (Hom.) , Dr. M.P.K Homoeopathic Medical College, a constituent college of Homoeopathy University, Jaipur.
Dr. Abhishek Sharma ,B.Pharma, BHMS ,Physician of Sankat Mochan Homoeo Clinic, Jaipur.
Dr. Shivangi jain , MD Scholar, Department of Pediatric (Hom.) , Dr. M.P.K Homoeopathic Medical College, a constituent college of Homoeopathy University, Jaipur.
Dr. Manish Singh, MD Scholar, Department of Repertory, Dr. M.P.K Homoeopathic Medical College, a constituent college of Homoeopathy University, Jaipur.
Abstract: Allergic rhinitis is defined as an inflammation of the nasal mucosa, caused by an allergen . Common symptoms include sneezing, stuffy nose, watery eyes, and a sore, scratchy throat. This article provide information about Allergic rhinitis along with homoeopathic medicines along with homoeopathy medicine and important rubric from Boericke Repertory .
what is Allergic Rhinitis and Homeopathic Medicine, Remedies, Treatment for Allergic Rhinitis
Introduction: Allergic rhinitis is defined as an inflammation of the nasal mucosa, caused by an allergen.Allergic rhinitis is commonly known as hay fever.Common symptoms include sneezing, stuffy nose, watery eyes, and a sore, scratchy throat.Possible triggers include grass, pollen, dust mites, cockroaches, cigarette smoke, and perfume. An allergen is a normally harmless substance that causes an allergic reaction. Allergic rhinitis, or hay fever, is an allergic response to specific allergens. Pollen is the most common allergen.
It can be classified as
- Precipitating factors
- Predisposing factors
- Aerobiological flora
- Allergens present in the environment
- House dust and dust mites
- Tobacco smoke
- Industrial chemicals
- Animal dander
- Nasal physiology
- Disturbances in normal nasal cycle
- Multiple gene interactions are responsible for allergic phenotype
- Chromosomes 5, 6, 11, 12 & 14 control inflammatory process in atopy
- 50% of allergic rhinitis patients have a positive family history of allergic rhinitis
- Pregnant states and post partum stages
- Focal sensitivity states
- Infections: fungal infections nb
- Degree of pollution of air
- Humidity and temperature differences
- Temperature changes
- Age & sex
- IgA deficiency
- Spring tree pollens(maple alder, birch)
- Summers: grass pollen (bluegrass, sheep sorrel etc
- Autumns: weed pollen (ragweed)
- Penicillium, cladosporium etc
- Cockroaches, house flies, fleas, bed bugs
- Cats. Dogs. Horse, monkeys, rats, rabbits etc
- Dust mites
- Nuts, fish, eggs, milk etc
- Often known by its misnomer of Hay fever
- Neither caused by hay or has fever
- Summer cold
- Caused by virus causing URTI (not a true allergic rhinitis
- Rose fever
- Often cited in Indian subcontinent
- Colourful or fragrant flowering plants rarely cause allergy as their pollens to heavy to be airborne
- Allergens present throughout the year
- No interference with daily activity or troublesome symptoms
- Moderate – severe
- Presence of at least one:
- Impaired sleep, daily activity work or school
- Troublesome symptoms
- Presence of at least one:
- Symptoms present less than 4 days per week and less than 4 weeks per year
- Symptoms present more than 4 days per week and more than 4 weeks per year
Clinical feature –
- Itchy nose, ears, eyes and palate
- Post nasal drip
- Tearing of eyes
- Allergic asthma
- Chronic otitis media
- Hearing loss
- Chronic nasal obstruction
- Histamine test
- Nasal smear
- Intranasal provocation test
- Skin tests
- Subcuticular test
- More accurate with lower incidence of false positive results
- Contraindicated in case of anti histaminic, anti inflammatory or decongestant treatment
- Subcuticular test
- Intradermal tests
- Be prepared for anaphylaxis
- Skin end point titration test
- Quantitative intradermal test for specific allergen
- Nasal challenge
- Nasal cytology
- Take a sample of nasal cavity without anaesthesia and send for identificaton of cell types in the nasal cavity
- Increased number of eosinophils suggests allergic disease
- Rast (radio allergo sorbant test)
- Fast ( fluro allergo sorbant test)
- Prist (paper immuno allergo sorbant test)
- X-ray pns
- Ct pns (for complicated cases with polyposis)
- Nasal endoscopy ( under local or ga)
Rubrics in Boericke Repertory related to Allergic rhinitis :
- Inflammation, acute, catarrhal, ordinary cold in head; All-c., Acon., Ars., Ars-i., Arum-t., Bry., Camp., Dulc., Euphr., Lach., Naphtin., Pso., Ran-b.,Sabad.,Sangin-n., Sin-n.,Stict.
- CORYZA; DRY (stuffy colds, snuffles);Am-c.,Calc., Cham., Hep., Kali-bi., Lyc., Nat-m.,Nux-v., Samb.,Stict.
- Alternately dry and fluent:Ars., Lac-c.,Nat-ar., Nux-v., Sin-n.
- Crazy, Fluent, watery (running cold);Ail.,All-c., Ambro.,Aral.,Ars.,Ars-i., Arum-t., Brom.,Euphr., Gels., Just., Kali-i., Merc., Nat-ars., Nat-m., Quill., Sabad., Sangin-n.
- Lachrymation, sneezing:All-c.,Ars., Cycl.,Euphr., Gels., Just.,Kali-i., Nat-m.,Nux-v.,Sabad.
- Inflammation, chronic atrophic (Sicca):Alum.,Calc-f., Hep., Kali-i., Lem-m.,Lyc.,Sep., Stict., Sulph.
- Inflammation, chronic catarrhal:Alum., Am-m., Calc., Eucal., Hep., Hippoz., Hydr., Kali-bi., Nat-c., Puls., Sep.
- Inflammation, purulent in children:Calc.,Kali-bi., Lyc.
- SENSITIVENESS of nose to air, touch; Aesc., Ant-c., Arum-t., Hep.
- SNEEZING (sternutation); All-c., Aral.,Ars., Cycl., Euphr., Gels., Ip., Kali-i., Sabad., Sangin-n., Stict.
- Sneezing, chronictendency; Sil.
- Sneezing, ineffectual; Ars.
- Sneezing, worse coming into warm room; rising from bed; handling peaches; All-c.
- Sneezing, worse in cool air:Ars.,Hep., Sabad.
- Sneezing, worse in evening;Glyc.
- Sneezing, worse in morning;Nux-v.
- Sneezing, worse in immersing hands in water;Lac-d.,Phos.
- STOPPAGE, Stuffiness; Acon., Am-c.,Arum-t., Aur., Cham., Hep., Kali-bi., Lyc., Nux-v., Puls., Samb., Sin-n.,Stict.
- Stoppage, alternating nostrils; Lac-can., Nux-v.
- Swelling; Ars-, Aur., Kali-bi., Lem-m., Mer-c., Nit-ac.
Related to discharges in rhinitis;
- Acrid, watery, fluent, hot, or thin mucus:All-c., Am-m., Ambro., Aral., Ars.,Ars-i., Gels., Iod., Kali-i., Merc-c., Nat-ar., Nat-m., Sabad., Sangin-n.,
- ALBUMINOUS, clear mucus:Kali-m.,Nat-m
- Bland mucus:Euphr.,puls.
- Bloody mucus:Arum-t., Hep., Merc-i-r,Phos.
- Green, yellow, fetid (purulent or mucus-purulent);Bals-p., Calc., Dulc.,Hep., Hydr., Kali-bi., Kali-s., Lyc., Merc., Puls.
- Allium Cepa- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis or Hay Fever with watery eyes . When there is watery discharge from the eyes along with running nose, Allium Cepa is one of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis or Hay Fever. The watery discharge from the nose is thin and acrid
- Arsenic Album- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis with intense thirst. In cases where there is intense thirst and the patient feels worse in open air, Arsenic Album is one of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis or Hay Fever. There is copious watery and excoriating discharge from the nose. There may be restlessness and anxiety with the other symptoms of hay fever. Thirst is increased though the patient drinks a little bit of water at one time. The symptoms are likely to be worse at night.
- Merc Sol- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis with sensitivity to heat and cold. When there is increased sensitivity to both heat and cold and the patient cannot tolerate either. There is a lot of sneezing and watery discharge from the nose.
- Natrum Mur- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis with sneezing. In cases where there is a lot of sneezing and in fact, the symptoms start with sneezing only. There is intense dryness of the mouth and the mucous membranes. The discharge from the nose is thin and watery and resembles the white of an egg. There is an increased desire to eat salt or salty food.
- Ranunculus bulbosus– Among the less frequently used remedies is Ranunculus, it has smarting in the eyes, pressure at the root, with tingling and crawling within its cavity, hoarseness and muscular soreness.
- Sabadilla. – Of great use in hay fever with watery discharge, profuse coryza and frontal pains. There is spasmodic and continual sneezing with only slight catarrhal discharge.
- Anonymous: All India Coordinated Project on Aeroallergens and Human Health. Report. Ministry of Environment and Forests, New Delhi 2000
- Chhabra SK, Gupta CK, Chhabra P, Rajpal S: Prevalence of bronchial asthma in schoolchildren in Delhi. J Asthma 1998, 35, 291
- Aeroallergens in clinical practice of allergy in india.an overview,Anand B. Singh, Pawan Kumar, Ann Agric Environ Med 2003, 10, 131–136
- Das S. A concise textbook of surgery. 7th ed. Kolkata: Dr. S. Das; 2012 July. p. 1203-7, 1210-17.
- Longo DL, Fauci AS, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J,et al, editors.
- Kasper, D. L., Fauci, A. S., Hauser, S. L., Longo, D. L. 1., Jameson, J. L., & Loscalzo, J. (2015). Harrison’s principles of internal medicine (19th edition.). New York: McGraw Hill Education. principles of internal medicine. 18th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, HealthProfessions Division; 2012. p. 2382.
- Tierney LM, Mcphee SJ, Papadakis MA. Current medical diagnosis and treatment. 51st ed. USA: MacGraw Hill Companies Ltd; 2000. p. 920.
- Williams NS, Bulstrode CJK, O’Connell PR. Bailey’s & Love short practice on surgery. 25th ed. London: Edward Arnold Ltd; 2008. p. 1295.
- Golwalla AF, Golwalla SA. Medicine for Students. 22nd ed. Mumbai: The National Book Depot; 2008. p. 641.
- Mohan H. Textbook of pathology. 5th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher (P) Ltd; 2005. p. 715.
- Shenoy KR, Nileshwar A. Manipal manual of surgery. 3rd ed. New Delhi: CBS Publisher & Distributer; 2010. p. 753-54.
- Seller RH. Differential diagnosis of common complaints. 5th ed. New Delhi: Elsevier Ltd; 2008. p. 14.
- Gilchrist JG. The homoeopathic treatment of surgical diseases. Reprinted. New Delhi: B. Jain Publisher (P) Ltd; 2004. p. 17.
- Boerick’s New manual of homoeopathic MATERIA MEDICA with REPERTORY 3rdrevised & augmented edition based on ninth edition New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers(P)Ltd;2007 .