The research work is done on the topic, “A Clinical Study on Utility of Phosphuricum Acidum in Diabetes mellitus.” The objective of this study is to know how the Acid Phos is used in treating Diabetes mellitus.
Review Of Literature
1) As Homoeopathy is not a science of therapeutics, it is concerned with “totality of symptoms or individuality”. Regarding the cure of Diabetes Mellitus by homoeopathic medicine, the individual needs the complete miasmatic and constitutional therapy in the very early stage.
In later stages of Diabetic individuals need complete treatment followed by miasmatic treatment.
As there is no data suggesting prevention through miasmatic treatment, but if we go through complete miasmatic study of individuals in early stages then we can easily find out about the disease with which an individual is prone to suffer. Then, we can apply the anti miasmatic theory as preventive measures, which causes a decline in the tendency for the progression of the miasm.
2) Phosphoric acid combination of phosphorus and oxygen. Phosphoric acid produces weakness or debility. Sometimes it causes a transient excitement, but the main characteristic of this drug is debility, which is characterized by indifference or apathy, by torpidity of both mind and body by complete sensorial depression.
The patient is disinclined to answer your questions. His answers are short, consisting generally of “Yes” or “No”, and are made in a way that it is annoying to him to speak. The delirium is quiet, not violent, but accompanied with this characteristic depression of sensorium and muttering, unintelligible speech. He lies in a stupor, or in stupid sleep unconscious of all that is going on about him; but when aroused he is fully conscious. That is characteristic of Phosphoric acid .
3) I do not enter here into the diabetic treatment of this disease. It must always be of high importance, but it is not , in the nature of the case and by confession of its advocates, curative. Sometimes indeed under its use Nature, relieved of much of her burden asserts her recuperative power; and when the patients return to his original diet, he finds it unattended by its pristine consequences.
As to the rationale of this questionable influence of Phosphoric Acid over diabetes. I have suggested in my paper that it is homeopathy in nature,- the drug having aggravated the symptoms of disease in man and actually induced it in animals. The frequent origin of diabetes in nervous, strain or depression is the main reason why phosphoric acid should do it good; and it would be when such antecedents were traceable that we should preferably resort to it.
4) Dr Hahnemann shows the influence and the repercussions of the psychic on the physical in his note to paragraph 17 where he writes: “Most severe disease may be produced by sufficient disturbance of the vital force through the imagination and also cured by the same means.”
“A warning dream, a superstitious fancy, or a solemn prediction that death would occur at certain day or at a certain hour, has not infrequently produced all signs of commencing and increasing disease, of approaching death and death itself at the hour announced, which could not happen without the simultaneous production of the inward change(corresponding to the state observed externally); and hence in such cases all the morbid signs indicative of approaching death have frequently been dissipated by an identical cause, by some cunning deception or persuasion to belief in the contrary, and health suddenly, resorted, which could not have happened without removal, by Means of this moral remedy, of the internal and external morbid change that threatened death.”
In the APHORISM 215 he makes the following observations:
Almost all the so – called mental and emotional diseases are nothing more than corporeal diseases in which the symptom of the derangement of the mind and disposition peculiar to each of them is increased, whilst the corporeal symptoms decline (more or less rapidly), till it at length attains the most striking one – sidedness, almost as though it were a local disease in the invisible subtle organ of the mind or disposition.
It clearly concedes the psychosomatic ailments of the modern authors. In 1810 Hahnemann was already insisting on the essential relationship between physical and the psychic condition of the patient. In paragraph 210 of the organon he writes:“….. They do not, however, constitute a class of disease sharply separated from all others, since in all other so-called corporeal diseases the condition of the disposition and mind is always altered….”
And in paragraph 213:
“We shall, therefore, never be able to cure conformably to nature – that is to say, homeopathically – if we do not, in every case of disease, even in such as are acute, observe, along with the other symptoms, those relating to the changes in the state of the mind and disposition, and if we do not select, for the patient’s relief, from among the medicines a disease – force which, in addition to the similarity of its other symptoms to those of the disease, is also capable of producing a similar state of the disposition and mind.
5) Diabetes mellitus as a metabolic disorder of multiple etiology, characterized by hyperglycemia or other disturbances. Homoeopathy believes that chronic ailments cannot be used using the principle of similimum. If we try to treat them using similar remedies, they will reappear. Hence it is important to understand the underlying miasm and choose the remedy.
Clinical diabetes is classified as a pseudo-psora (tubercular) miasma. Diabetes, as a rule, is tubercular. The key words of tubercular miasm are “Dissatisfaction and Incapability of Tolerance”
Phosphoric acid used in both acute and chronic conditions with great physical and mental debility. Profuse urination, frequent watery or milky nocturnal polyuria ampylopia.
6) The common acid ‘debility’ is very marked in phosphoric acid. Diabetes is one of the metabolic disorders which is caused due to mental stress and day to day change in the mental state. Here mental debility first later the physical. A congenital soil for the action of phos acid is found in young people who grow rapidly and who are overtaxed mentally and physically. Whenever the system has been exposed to ravages of acute diseases, excess grief, loss of vital fluids, we obtain conditions calling for it.