Homoeopathic medicines have proven well effective not only in dealing with effects of alcoholism, but also helps in breaking this genetic or acquired tendencies. Here we list some of those remedies that are mentioned in our materia medica as well as in our repertories. We will also try to combine the concepts of alcoholism in modern science and homoeopathic science.
Alcoholism. De-addiction. Homoeopathy. Homoeopathic therapeutics. Lifestyle.
Alcoholism and addictions run in history of mankind since long. There are some behavioral tendencies laid behind it. A Broad aetiological classification can be as followed:(1)
- Biological factors: e.g., Genetic vulnerability, Co-morbid psychiatric disorders or personality disorders.
- Psychological factors: e.g., Curiosity, poor impulse control, low self-esteem, childhood trauma etc.
- Social factors: Peer pressure, Modeling, ease of availability of alcohol, rapid urbanization.
We have certain homoeopathic remedies which can act precisely on this factors and act as similimum to aetiological factors and help to break the tendencies of alcohol.
Classification of Alcoholism:
For academic discussions alcoholism is classified in 2 types:(1)
|FACTORS||TYPE I||TYPE II|
|Gender||Both sexes||Mostly in males|
|Age of onset||>25 years||<25 years|
|Aetiological factors||Genetic factors important; strong environmental influences are contributory.||Heritable; environmental influences are limited.|
|Family History||May be present||Parental alcoholism and antisocial behavior usually present.|
|Loss of control||Present||No loss of control|
|Other features||Psychological dependence, and guilt present.||Drinking followed by aggressive behavior; spontaneous alcohol seeking.|
|Pre-morbid personality traits||Harm avoidance; high reward dependence||Novelty- seeking|
Table 1 Classification of Alcoholism
Homoeopathic approach in type I alcoholism:[Boericke] [nervous system] Alcoholism: to overcome habit:(2)
Ange, bufo, China, Kola, Que, Sul-ac., Sulph.
- ANGELICA: intincture, five drops, three times daily, produces disgust for liquor, also for atony of different organs, dyspepsia, nervous headache, etc., (2)
- BUFO: Acts on the nervous system and skin. Arouses the lowest passions. Causes desire for intoxicating drink, and produces impotence.(2)
- CINCHONA OFFICINALIS:DEBILITY from exhausting discharges, from loss of vital fluids, together with a NERVOUS ERETHISM, calls for this remedy. (2)
- STERCULIA [KOLA]: Neurasthenia. The remedy for drinking habit. It promotes the appetite and digestion, and lessens the craving for liquor.(2)
- QUERCUS CLANDIUM SPIRITUS: Antidots the effects of alcohol. Takes away the craving for alcoholics;(2)
Homoeopathic approach in type II alcoholism:
RUBRIC: [Boericke] [nervous system] Alcoholism: Hereditary:(2)
Asar, Psor, Sul-ac., Sulph, Syph, Tub.
- ASARUM EUROPOEUM: A remedy for nervous affections, loss of energy, with excessive ERETHISM. Loss of appetite, flatulence, eructation, and vomiting. DESIRE FOR ALCOHOLIC DRINKS. Smoking tobacco tastes bitter. (2)
- PSORINUM: Psorinum is generally indicated when Sulphur seems to be indicated but failed to relieve. Sulphur and Psornium do follow each other well. (Allen’s keynote)
- SULPHURICUM ACIDUM: (ACIDITY + ALCHOLISM). The “debility” common to acids shows itself here, especially in the digestive tract, giving a very relaxed feeling in the stomach, with craving for stimulants. TREMOR AND WEAKNESS; everything must be done in a hurry. Sulphuric acid mixed with three parts of alcohol, ten to fifteen drops three times daily for several weeks, has been successfully used to subdue the craving for liquor. For homoeopathic purposes second to thirtieth potency.(2)
- SYPHILINUM: Utter prostration and debility in the morning. Hereditary tendency to alcoholism. Loss of memory; remembers everything previous to his illness. Apathetic; FEELS AS IF GOING INSANE OR BEING PARALYZED. FEARS THE NIGHT, and the suffering from exhaustion on awakening. Hopeless; DESPAIRS OF RECOVERY. CRAVES ALCOHOL.(2)
Some other important remedies for bad effects of alcohol:
- APOCYNUM CANNABIUM: Acute alcoholism. Dropsies, which is characterise by great thirst and gastric irritability. (2)
- AVENA SATIVA: Alcoholism with sleeplessness. Nervous exhaustion, sexual debility, and morphine habit call for this remedy.(2)
- CALCAREA ARSENICA: Complaints of drunkards after abstaining. Dropsy. Effects of spleen and mesenteric glands.SLIGHTEST EMOTIONS CAUSING PALPITATION. (2)
- CARBONEUM SULPHURATUM: Very useful in patients broken down by abuse of alcohol. Sensitive patients worse cold, wasted muscles, and skin. Impotence, sciatica comes within therapeutic range of this drug.(2)
- CARDUUS MARIANUS: The action of drug is centered in the liver, and portal system, causing soreness, pain, jaundice. Abuse of alcoholic beverages,especially beer. Dropsical conditions depending on liver disease, and when due to pelvic congestion and hepatic diseases.(2)
- FLUORICUM ACIDUM: Hob- nailed liver of alcoholics. (2)
- LOBELIA INFLATA: Languor, relaxation of muscles, nausea, vomiting and dyspepsia are the general indications that pount to the use of this remedy. Bad effects of drunkards.(2)
- RANUNCULUS BULBOSUS: Bad effects of alcohol; delirium tremens. (2)
- STROPHANTHUS HISPIDUS: Nausea with special disgust for alcohol and so aids in treatment of dipsomania.(2)
Some important rubrics for bad effects of alcohol:
- [Boericke] generalities, dropsy,From, alcoholism:ars, fl-ac, sulph.(2)
- [Boericke] Generalities, Complaints, Abuse of, Alcoholic beverages:Agar., Ant-c., Apom., Ars., Asar., Aur., Calc-ar., Carb-v., Carbn-s., Card-m., Coca, Cocc., Colch., Eup-per., Hydr., Ip., Lach., Led., Lob., Lyc., Nux-v., Querc., Ran-b., Stry., Sul-ac., Sulph., Verat.(2)
- [Boericke] Modalities, Aggravation, Liquors: Agar., Ant-c., Cann-i., Carb-(2)v., Cimic., Lach., Led., Nux-v., Ran-b., Stram., Sul-ac., Zinc.
- [Kent] Chill, alcohol, abuse of: Led., Nux-v.(3)
- [Kent] Head, pain, odors, alcohol, of: Sol-t-ae.(3)
- [Kent] Urine, albuminous, alcohol, after abuse of: ARS., Aur., Bell., Berb., Calc-ar., CARB-V., Chin., Croto-t., Cupr., Ferr., Lach., Led., Merc., Nat-c., Nux-v., Sulph.(3)
Homoeopathic medicines are equally useful in treating both type of alcoholism. With proper aid of homoeopathic materia medica and repertories, we can help many patients for their alcoholism and other bodily or mental effects of alcohol. Homoeopathic medicines act on dynamic plain breaks the tendency for alcoholism and offers a patient to healthier life.
|1.||Ahuja N. A short textbook of Psychiatry new delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) ltd; 2023.|
|2.||BOERICKE W. Pocket manual of homoeopathic Materia medica & reportory Noida: B. Jain Publishers (P) LTD.; 2013.|
|3.||Kent JT. REPERTORY OF THE HOMOEOPATHIC MATERIA MEDICA NEW DELHI: B. JAIN PUBLISHERS (P) LTD.; 2014.|
|4.||PHATAK SR. Materia Medica of Homoeopathic Medicines Noida: B. Jain Publishers(P) LTD.; 2019.|