March Is National Kidney Month & March 10, 2022 Is World Kidney Day
World Kidney Day is a global campaign, celebrated every year on the 2nd Thursday of March, and is aimed at raising awareness about the importance of kidneys to overall health, preventive behaviors, risk factors, reduce the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems, as well as how to live with a kidney disease.
World Kidney Day is a joint initiative of the International Society of Nephrology (ISN) and the International Federation of Kidney Foundations (IFKF).
- Raise awareness about our “amazing kidneys” Highlight that diabetes and high blood pressure are key risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
- Encourage systematic screening of all patients with diabetes and hypertension for CKD.
- Encourage preventive behaviors.
- Educate all medical professionals about their key role in detecting and reducing the risk of CKD, particularly in high risk populations.
- Stress the important role of local and national health authorities in controlling the CKD epidemic. On World Kidney Day all governments are encouraged to take action and invest in further kidney screening.
- Encourage Transplantation as a best-outcome option for kidney failure, and the act of organ donation as a life-saving initiative.
Themes of World Kidney Day
The 2022 theme is “Kidney Health for All: Bridge the Knowledge Gap to Better Kidney Care”, and is focused on efforts to increase education and awareness about kidney health and on reducing the high CKD knowledge gap at all levels of kidney care.
- 2022 Kidney Health for All – Bridge the gap to better kidney care
- 2021 Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere – Living Well with Kidney Disease
- 2020 Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere – from Prevention to Detection and Equitable Access to Care
- 2019 Kidney Health for Everyone, Everywhere
- 2018 Kidneys & Women’s Health. Include, Value, Empower
- 2017 Kidney Disease & Obesity – Healthy Lifestyle for Healthy Kidneys
- 2016 Kidney Disease & Children – Act Early to Prevent It!
- 2015 Kidney Health for All
- 2014 Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and aging
- 2013 Kidneys for Life – Stop Kidney Attack!
- 2012 Donate – Kidneys for Life – Receive
- 2011 Protect your kidneys: Save your heart
- 2010 Protect your kidneys: Control diabetes
- 2009 Protect your kidneys: Keep your pressure down
- 2008 Your amazing kidneys!
- 2007 CKD: Common, harmful and treatable
- 2006 Are your kidneys OK?