Toothache And Its Homeopathic Management
Abstract:- Toothache is a very common condition by which a large number of people worldwide get affected.
The sufferer of condition ranges from all the age groups and both the sex. It is very important to treat this condition timely to avoid further complications which can be done by selection of proper homeopathic remedy.
Toothache, also termed as odontalgia, is defined as pain in or around the teeth or jaw. Toothache is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated or infected by bacteria(1).
Homoeopathy is very effective in providing complete relief from toothache by treating the underlying cause of it. The proper selection of homoeopathic medicine is based on symptom similarity after detail history taking and individualising the patient. The homoeopathic medicine acts on the dynamic plane and not only provide relief in toothache but also treat the underlying cause.
- The most common cause of toothache is dental cavity.
- The second most common cause of a toothache is gum diseases.
- Toothache can also be caused by a problem that does not originate from a tooth, gum or jaw but it can be a symptom of disease of heart, ears and sinuses.(1)
Causes of toothache:-
tooth syndrome (tooth #) these factures are usually due to chewing or biting hard objects such as hard pencils, candies, nuts, etc.
- Tooth root sensitivity
8. Dentigerous cyst
9. Dry socket
10.Temporomandibular joint dislocation
11.Temporomandibular joint arthritis
12.Malignancy directly involving tooth, for example, cheek, tongue, alveolus, etc.(1)
1. Tooth pain may be a throbbing in nature or occur a constant pain. The severity of toothache can range from chronic and mild to sharp and excruciating.
The pain may be aggravated by chewing or by cold or heat. The pain may persist for longer than 15 second after the stimulus is removed.
As the area of inflammation increases, pain may become more severe. The pain may radiate to the cheek, the ear or the jaw.
3. Bad odor from mouth.
4. Foul taste in mouth due to drainage from infected tooth.
5. Associated symptom may be bleeding.(1)
Toothache can be prevented by maintaining good oral hygiene
- Brushing teeth regularly with a good toothpaste.
- Flossing once a day.
- Using mouthwash once or twice a day.
- Avoid using safety pins to remove
logged food in between teeth.
- Eat food that are low in sugar.
- Visit your dentist or doctor twice a
Treatment of toothache:-
The following homoeopathic medicines can be used effectively
to treat toothache depending on symptom similarity.
- Toothache after extraction or after filling procedure.
- Important remedy for pain and swelling from wearing false teeth.
- Arnica Montana is used to stop bleeding after extraction of teeth.
- Sensation of soreness (4)
- Especially indicated remedy for old women who have a mouthful of painful stumps.
- Blackish discoloration of teeth due to chronic decaying and loss of enamel from teeth.
- Crumbling of teeth.
- Gums are spongy, unhealthy and easy bleeding.
- Severe tearing pains in teeth radiating to ears.
- Toothache during menses.
- Swelling of sub maxillary glands.
- Patient also suffers from pyorrhea.
- Sensation as if tooth is elongated.
- Toothache is worse by intake of cold drinks and ameliorated by pressure of teeth.(3)(4)
- Effective medicine for toothache with excessive salivation and bad odour from mouth.
- Indicated in toothache due to inflamed dentine.
- Patient complaints of bleeding gums and loosened teeth.
- Crown of teeth decayed while the root is perfectly sound.
- Tooth feels loose and elongated.
- Yellow discoloration of the teeth.
- Tongue is thick moist coated yellow flabby with imprints of teeth and increased thirst for water.
- Toothache worse at night and in damp weather and ameliorated by rubbing cheek.(2)(3)(4)
- Works well for both toothache and sensitive teeth.
- This medicine also works well on swelling of cheeks along with toothache.
- Increased salivation with toothache.
- Teeth feels elongated and sore and very sensitive to touch.
- Toothache worse lying on affected side.
- This medicine can be applied externally for toothache.(3)
- Best remedy for toothache caused due to abscess in the root of teeth and dental fistulae.
- Toothache worse when cold air gets into the mouth.
- Sensitivity to cold water.
- Boils on gum.
- Typical sensation of hair on the tongue.(2)(4)
- Toothache in patients who become very irritable and wild.
- Patient is oversensitive to pain, there is unbearable pain, which is radiating to ears.
- Intake of warm drinks makes the condition worse especially from drinking coffee.
- Cold application relieves toothache.(2)
- Coffea patient suffers from toothache which almost drives the patient frantic.
- Toothache worse while chewing worse from warm drinks and relieved while holding cold water in the mouth returning when water becomes warm.(3)
Thus, the above information can be summarised as follows:
- Toothache due to decayed teeth
-MERCURIUS SOLUBILIS, STAPHYSAGRIA, PLANTAGO MAJOR
- Toothache with pain from teeth to ears or face
– PLANTAGO MAJOR, SPIGELIA ANTHELMIA, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHORICUM
- Toothache due to root abscess
-SILICEA TERRA, HEPAR SULPHURICUM
- Toothache from tobacco smoking
-CLEMATIS ERECTA, IGNATIA AMARA, PLANTAGO MAJOR, SPIGELIA ANTHELMIA
- Toothache after extraction or following filling procedure
-ARNICA MONTANA, HYPERICUM PERFORATUM
- Toothache during pregnancy
-SEPIA, PULSATILLA NIGRICANS, CALCAREA CARBONICUM, CHAMOMILLA, MAGNESIUM CARBONICUM
- Toothache with blackish eruptions on teeth
- Toothache caused by drafts or cold exposure
-ACONITUM NAPELLUS, MERCURIUS SOLUBILIS, PULSATILLA NIGRICANS, SILICEA TERRA
- Toothache menses during
-CHAMOMILLA, SEPIA, STAPHYSAGRIA, BARYTA CARBONICUM
- Toothache with feeling as if tooth is elongated
- Scully C, Handbook of Oral Disease: Diagnosis and Management , CRC Press , 6 May 1999.
- Farrington EA,Comparative Materia Medica, B.Jain Publishers(P) Ltd., Reprint edition 2003-2004
- Boericke W, Pocket Manul of Homoeopathic Materia Medica & Repertory, B.Jain Publishers(P) Ltd., Ninth edition
- Dewey WA, Practical Homoeopathic Therapecutics , B.Jain Publishers(P) Ltd., Reprint edition 1993
- M.D.(Hom.), P.G.Diploma Psychological Counselling.
- Associate Professor, HOD, Dept. of Surgery, Takhatmal Shrivallabh Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital Amravati(M.S)
Keywords :- toothache , dental caries , Staphysagria , Mercurius solubilis, Siliceaterra, Arnica montana, Toothache Causes, Toothache Symptoms, Toothache Treatment.
Dr Varsha Vijay Agrawal
• M.D.(Hom.), P.G.Diploma Psychological Counselling.
• Associate Professor, HOD, Dept. of Surgery, Takhatmal Shrivallabh Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital Amravati(M.S)