Rheumatoid arthritis is a long-term auto-immune disorder that primarily affects joints. It typically results is warm, swollen and painful joints. Pain and stiffness often worsen following rest.
Most commonly the wrists and hands are involved with the same joints.
Typically involved on both sides of the body.
Sign and Symptoms
• Arthritis of joints involves inflammation of synovial membrane, joint become swollen, tender and warm, and stiffness limits their movement
• Synovitis leads to tethering of tissue and loss if movement and erosion of joint, surface causing deformity and loss of function.
• Affected joint becomes- swollen, warm, painful and stiff.
Pathophysiology Rheumatoid Arthritis starts as a state of persistent cellular activation leading to auto-immunity and immune complexes in joints and other organs where it manifests.
Three phases of progression of Rheumatoid Arthritis are:
• Initiation phase (due to non-specific inflammation)
• Amplification phase (due to T cell activation)
• Chronic inflammatory phase with tissue injury resulting from TNF- α
1. Blood test –
- RF (Rheumatoid factor)
- ACP (Anti-citrullinated protein)- to measure as antiCCP
- C-Reactive Protein
- ANA (Anti-nuclear antibody)
2. X-RAYS of hands and feet
3. MRI and Ultrasound also used in RA
- The goals of the treatment are minimized symptoms such as pain and swelling to prevent bone deformity
- DMARD’S – Disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs
- Physical activity
Homoeopathic management for RA in classical homoeopathy, there are many possible homoeopathic treatments for RA; to be chosen based on various specific details of person seeking treatment.
Commonly used homoeopathic medicine are; Rhustox, Bryonia, Apis mel, Actea spicata, Caulophyllum, Arnica, Ledum pal, Calcarea carb, colchicum, Causticum etc.
1. Rhustox: to relieve stiffness and pain.
2. Apis mellifica: Reducing Swelling in Joints
3. Bryonia: For red, hot and swollen joint
4. Actea spicata: Wrist pain and swelling
5. Caulophyllum: For small joints
6. Arnica: Tender joints
7. Ledum pal: Painful and swollen ankles
8. Calc.carb: Pain and swelling in knee joints
9. Colchicum: For pain that worsens from touch
10. Causticum: Joint deformity.
Dr. Reshma Hussain Sayyed MD(HOM)
Dept . – HMM Guru mishri Homoeopathic medical college, Jalna (MUHS)
Email – [email protected]
PG DIRECTOR – Dr . vaishali lakhotia MD(HOM) and
Under the guidance and supervision of Dr. yogesh Desarda and Kanchan desarda.
Guru mishri Homoeopathic medical college, Jalna (MUHS)