THE ALARM OF YOUR HEART BRADYCARDIA
Abstract– It is a condition of the heart where heart beats slower than the normal rate(60-100 per minute) when a person is at rest. It is a sign of worry in elderly people whereas for young and healthy individuals it is not even a symptom unless there is a underlying pathology.
Introduction- Bradycardia is a type of arrythemia in which the heart rate is slower than normal. The hearts of adults at rest usually beat between 60 and 100 times a minute. If you have bradycardia your heart beats fewer than 60 times a minute. However, bradycardia doesn’t cause symptoms or complications because a resting heart rate is slower than 60 beats a minute which is normal for some people, particularly healthy young adults and trained athletes.
Bradycardia can be a serious problem if the heart doesn’t pump enough oxygen-rich blood to the body, it isn’t considered a health problem unless it is accompained by other symptoms then it could be a sign of something serious. If you have bradycardia, your brain and other organs might not get enough oxygen, possibly causing symptoms which it is often misunderstood as MI (Myocardial Infaction).
Symptoms such as
• Near-fainting or fainting (syncope)
• Dizziness or lightheadedness
• Shortness of breath
• Chest pains
• Confusion or memory problems
• Easily tiring during physical activity
• Jaw Pain
• Severe headache
• Visual changes
If the condition persist and a patient have a history of cardiac disorders or any related condition from maternal or paternal side then it is crucial to consider your cardiologist first. However, if the condition is acute without any alarming signs it can be easily managed by homeopathy medicines.
Pathophysiogy & Types.
When the term Bradycardia is used by your Doctor it is merely a diagnosis for further conformation your doctor might advice some tests such as EEG or blood investigation to make a diagnosis as well as to plan your treatment. There are several causes that are associated with the condition we will discuss this later on but before let us understand what happens when you experience Bradycardia based on their types.
There are two types of bradycardia
1)Sick sinus syndrome- The sinus node( group of cells) sends the electrical signals to your heart to pump more blood which is also called “Natural Pacemaker” of heart if these nodes does not reliably triggers the heartbeats then the condition is called Sinus Bradycardia. It is common in elderly person but may occur at any age due the underlying causes such as-
• Pericarditis- inflammation of the tissues around the outside of the heart.
• Sleep apnea- when you briefly stop breathing in your sleep.
• congenital heart defect.
• Advanced age
• Rare genetic disorders such as Myotonic dystrophy.
Moreover, there are other contributing factors which can increase the risk such as, Abuse of Alcohol, smoking, high blood pressure, recreational drug use, Psychological stress and lastly Anxiety.
2) Heart Block – This type of bradycardia causes an abnormal heart rhythm . It is a complete or partial interruption of the electrical impulses on their way to the ventricles and results in a low , unreliable heartbeat. Heart block may be present at birth. Surgery is often needed in such cases and found in old age group due wear and tear of electrical system of heart.
Complications- There are no major complications of this sign but if not treated and adequate precautions are not take might lead to death due to heart block.
Homoeopathic Medicines for Bradycardia-1) Digitalis Purpurea- Is primarily a “Heart remedy”. It should be considered when the pulse is “Abnormally slow” and later in the pathology. Digitalis will be indicated if you have been told by the patient that when the problem started(whether acute or chronic the pulse was very slow, even down to 40 beats per minute.
Hahnemann says that Digitalis “greatly slows down the pulse in its primary action” this slowing down of pulse rate is guiding symptom of Digitalis in all cases no matter what the pathology is?
>2) Essentia Aurea- The cardio-tonic which improves muscular tone, regulates blood pressure and reduces the narrowing of blood vessels.
3) Viscum Pentarkan- Regulates mild to moderate form of high blood pressure, strengthens the heart muscles and improves the quality of life.
4) Crataegus Pentarkan- Improve circulation in the heart and improves cardiac weakness
5) Kalmia latifolia- Fluttering of the heart with anxiety, palpitation of the heart worse leaning forward, trembling all over. ‘Very Slow Pulse”.
6) Aurum Met – felt that the heart has stopped suddenly for a few seconds varying from 2 to 3 seconds and then suddenly starts beating again. The pulse seems irregular, with high blood pressure.
7) Grindelia– Weakness of heart and lungs. When the patient goes to sleep he wakes up suddenly with sensation as if respiration has ceased.
8) Phaseolus Nana– Weak and unsound heart. Pulse intermittent and weak.
9) Cereus Bin- Agonizing and convulsive pains in the heart.
10) Ignatia Amara- Palpitation of heart caused by worriment.
Dr. Nupur Baiswar.