As the name suggests Introduction to Materia Medica, this book brings forth not only Introduction but evolution also of different system materia medica’s. In beginning author introduces what actually materia medica is?. Additionally he defines it from different sources including Organon of Medicine as well as from different medical dictionaries majorly Dorland, Steadmans, Taber’s.
Author also enlists and elaborate different terms used in homoeopathic literature including different philosopher’s for an example everyone of you have read about what is drug? But this book highlights what H.A. Robert said about drug. This is just an example but author puts his insights also while writing about different terms along with different pioneers where it is needed.
It is difficult for student to compile this information so, it is found in Chapter-2 of book which titled “Terms used in Homoeopathic Literatures”. In this chapter you will find all essential information which a UG Student needs not only for making their base but also for examination purpose because these are frequently asked in question paper in 2,5 or 10 marks respectively. Important definitions included in this chapter are constitution,Temperament, Diathesis, Dyscrasia, Miasm. This chapter also includes definitions along with examples of acute, chronic, intercurrent etc remedies and types of symptoms also.
Next moving onto it’s Third chapter which is “History Principle, Nature and construction of True Materia Medica” which describes the aphorisms 143-145 of organon of medicine.
The most intresting Chapter no. 5 which I found in this book is “Source books of Homoeopathic Materia Medica” and this chapter is very much important both for UG and PG students because this is always asked in question paper. It contains all the essential information or I must say elaborated information of 16 source books of homoeopathy.This is most important chapter for PG Curriculum.
Chapter-7 deals with “Types of Homoeopathic Materia Medica” & Chapter-8 deals with “Scopes and Limitations of Homoeopathic Materia Medica”. Students must go through the above two mentioned chapters because it is always asked in question paper of Materia Medica from First to Final Year.
If you feel difficulty in answering the basic question about relationship of homoeopathic remedies for an example inimical, corcordance, complimentary, compatibles, incompatible, cognates and so on this book is going to be useful because author not only defines it but also mentions examples along with it.
Lastly, when it is asked in question paper of UG in not only Materia question but in other subjects relating to Materia Medica relationship with other sciences students must refer this book.
This book not only elaborates Schuessler’s 12 tissue remedy but also Bowel Nosodes, Bach Flower remedies also. And finally when student gathers all the essential terminologies information then he/she is ready now to read what actually the medicines are. So author mentions in the Chapter-16 of this book named “Model drug picture: A guide to study drug picture” in which he illustrates taking an example of Lachesis all what a student needs to know and how to study a drug picture.
So, this book fills the barrier between basic knowledge & in depth knowledge. Author compiles all this information from 35 sources which are mentioned in bibliography section. So, I found that if you read this book you are referring 35 books at a once.
This is what I found intresting about this book, now I leave onto you all dear readers to decide the what essentiality this book contains to you!
Title: Introduction to Materia Medica Extensive Preparatory Notes to UG and PG
Author: DR NAGENDRA BABU
Imprint: B.Jain Regular
Prof. Dr. Yogeshwari Gupta
Principal, Prof. & HOD Department of Materia Medica.– Swasthya Kalyan Homoeopathic Medical College & Research Centre, Sitapura, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India.
Former-Dean Rajasthan Ayurveda University, Jodhpur.
MD (Hom), BHMS with experience of 24 years clinical, 20 years teaching & 8 years administrative services.
Presently working as Principal & Medical Superintendent at Swasthya Kalyan Homoeopathic Medical College and Research Centre, Jaipur.
Editor in Chief of ‘JOURNAL OF CLASSICAL HOMOEOPATHY’; ‘KNOW HOMOEOPATHY JOURNAL’ & Member, Editorial Board in various Homoeopathic Journals.
Approved P.G. & PhD Supervisor in Homoeopathic Materia Medica by Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurveda University, Jodhpur.
Member- Board of Studies, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurveda University, Jodhpur; Tantia University, Sri Ganganagar, Rajasthan.
- Former Dean, Homoeopathy, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurveda University, Jodhpur.
- Former Member-Board of Management and Academic Council in Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurveda University, Jodhpur.
- Former President, Dean, Head, Department of Materia Medica in Jayoti Vidyapeeth Women’s University, Jaipur.
- Appointed as committee member ‘NEETI AYUSH POLICY’ for Rajasthan State.
- Appointed as Member-Selection committee for interviewing Homoeopathic teaching faculty – Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurveda University, Jodhpur, Jayoti Vidyapeeth Women’s University, Jaipur, Swasthya Kalyan Homoeopathic Medical College and Research Centre, Jaipur, Homoeopathic University, Jaipur.
- Invited as Panelist- “Recent advances in Homoeopathy” Jaipur Health Festival, at B.M. Birla Auditorium, Statue Circle, Jaipur Rajasthan.
- Invited as Spokes person in CME by Ministry of Ayush, Central Research Institute, Jaipur; Dada Pariwar; Agrawal Samaj; Patrika Doordarshan; Homoeopathy Development Association, Rajasthan & various organizations.
- Many articles have been published in national and international Journals.
- Appointed as inspector by Central Council of Homoeopathy, New Delhi and Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurveda University, Jodhpur for inspection of various Homoeopathic colleges over the India.
- Appointed as External Examiner, Paper Setter and Thesis evaluator by various universities for BHMS, MD (Homeo) & PhD Courses.
- Participated in many international, national and state level Homoeopathic conferences.
- Attended Workshops on “Inspection Reports” & “Clinical Training” conducted by Central Council of Homoeopathy, New Delhi and many workshops, Re-orientation Training Programme in field of Homoeopathy conducted by Ministry of Ayush.
- Honored and Awarded by many renowned national and international organizations in various fields.