Author: Dr. Ch. Kapilesh
PG Scholar, Department of Organon of Medicine
Father Muller Homoeopathic Medical College
Deralakatte, Mangalore -575018.
Chronic liver damage from a variety of causes leading to scaring and liver failure. Liver damage caused by cirrhosis can’t be undone, but further damage can be limited. Homeopathic medicines help in relieving the symptoms in patients due to Liver Cirrhosis, including appetite loss, fatigue, jaundice, Ascites, and vomiting of blood. This article helps how to deal with the cirrhosis of livers.
KEY WORDS: Cirrhosis of liver, Homeopathic medicines, Sector totality.
Cirrhosis of liver is a chronic, progressive disease characterized by diffuse hepatic fibrosis and nodule formation. It can occur at any age, has significant morbidity and is an important cause of premature death.
The development of cirrhosis is an insidious, prolonged course usually after decades of chronic liver diseases. Cirrhosis is a consequence of chronic liver disease.
Causative factors/ Risk factors:
· Chronic Viral Hepatitis
· Drug toxicity
· Metabolic liver diseases including NAFLD
High Coffee and Tea consumption and Statin use reduce the risk of Cirrhosis.
1. The clinical features of cirrhosis result from hepatocyte dysfunction, portosystemic shunting, and portal hypertension.
2. Patients may have no symptoms for long periods.
3. Common symptoms: Fatigue, Disturbed sleep, Weight loss, Muscle cramps.
4. Advanced: Anorexia, Nausea and Vomiting.
5. Abdominal Pain: Hepatic enlargement, Ascites, Glisson capsule.
6. Menstrual abnormalities (usually amenorrhea), erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, sterility, and gynecomastia.
7. Skin manifestations: Spider telangiectasias, palmar erythema and Dupuytren contractures.
8. Vit. Deficiency: Glossitis and Cheilosis.
10. Liver manifestation: enlarged, palpable, and firm if not hard and has a sharp or nodular edge; the left lobe may predominate.
12. Late findings: Pleural effusion, Peripheral edema, Ecchymoses.
13. Encephalopathy: Characterized by day-night reversal, asterixis, tremor, dysarthria, delirium, drowsiness and, ultimately coma.
· Laboratory abnormalities are either absent or minimal in early or compensated cirrhosis. Anemia, a frequent finding.
· Ultrasonography is helpful for assessing liver size and detecting ascites or hepatic nodules.
· Liver biopsy shows inactive cirrhosis.
· Esophagogastroduodenoscopy: Presence of varices and detects specific causes of bleeding in the oesophagus, stomach, and proximal duodenum.
Sector totality / Presenting complaints are the symptoms with location, sensations, modalities including causation & concomitant.
CONSTRUCTION OF SECTOR TOTALITY
SECTOR TOTALITY OF CIRRHOSIS OF LIVER:
Location: Abdominal region
Sensation: Abdominal pain, Vomiting, Nausea, ascites and jaundice. Liver enlarged, palpable, firm/hard and has a sharp or nodular edge. The left lobe may be prominent.
Modality/ Causation: Alcohol, Drug toxicity.
Concomittant: Fatigue, Disturbed sleep, weight loss, muscle cramps, anaemia and fever.
The pathological changes occurring in the liver due to Cirrhosis are irreversible. Homeopathic medicines treat the underlying causes of the diseases. So, the treatment for cirrhosis of liver is basically aimed at preventing further liver damage and the complications arising as a result of Liver Cirrhosis, and also improving the general condition of the patient. These are some the homeopathic medicines that are used for the management of cirrhosis of liver.
Carduus Marianus: The action of this drug is centered in the liver, and portal system, causing soreness, pain, jaundice. Carduus marianus homeopathic medicine for liver cirrhosis. Abuse of alcoholic beverages, especially beer. Indicated in jaundice, nausea and vomiting of a greenish fluid. There is sensitiveness in the epigastrium and right hypochondriac region.
Nux Vomica: In liver affections occurring in those who have indulged to excess in alcoholic liquors, highly seasoned food, quinine, or in those who have abused themselves with purgatives, Nux is the first remedy to be thought of. Bruised soreness of abdominal walls. Liver engorged, with stitches and soreness. Colic pain. The liver is swollen hard and sensitive to the touch and pressure.
Lycopodium: Lycopodium acts powerfully on the liver. The region of the liver is sensitive to the touch, and there is a feeling of tension in it. Cirrhosis. The pains are dull and aching. Fullness in the stomach after eating a small quantity. Increased desire for hot drinks, hot food or sweets.
Chelidonium: The liver symptoms of Chelidonium are very prominent. There is soreness and stitching pains in the region of the liver, but the keynote for this drug in hepatic diseases is a pain under the angle of the right shoulder blade, which may extend to the chest, stomach, or hypochondrium. There is swelling of the liver, chilliness, fever, jaundice, yellow coated tongue, bitter taste and a craving for acids and sour things.
Phosphorus: Phosphorus is the remedy for fatty degeneration of the liver, with well-marked soreness and jaundice. Jaundice accompanying pneumonia. Suddenness of symptoms, sudden prostration, faints, sweats, shooting pains, etc. Fatty degenerations, cirrhosis, caries, are pathological states often calling for Phosphorus.
1. Stephen J , Maxine A Current medical diagnosis & treatment: 58. ed. a LANGE medical book; 2019: 975
2. Davidson’s Principle and Practice of Medicine: 23rd ed: 2018
3. Boericke William, New Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica with Repertory. Bjain Publishers Ltd
4. Clark J.H ;Dictionary of practical materia medica.