ABSTRACT: Alcoholism is a common social problem which may be associated with risk factors and other co morbidities. Sudden cessation of alcohol intake results in withdrawal symptoms. Homeopathy is a holistic system of medicine in treatment of patients by individualization.
Alcoholics’ sometime compelled to take alcohol due to alcohol withdrawal symptoms. So homeopathic remedies help to control the withdrawal symptoms and same time reduce the craving towards alcohol.
Alcoholism is a common social problem, which may be associated with risk factors and other co morbidities. Risk factors for alcoholism are environmental factors like social, work, stress, cultural, modern life style and genetics.1
WHO has estimated that as of 2016, there were 380 million people with alcoholism worldwide 2
In India, the prevalence of alcohol consumption among adults above 18yrs of age was found to be 10% among males and 0.7% among females as per sample registration survey 2014.
ALCOHOLISM: it is a chronic disease characterized by a physical and psychological dependence on alcohol. People with an alcohol addiction need to drink in order to function.
ALCOHOL WITHDRAWL SYNDROME : A group of symptoms of variable clustering and degree of severity which occur on cessation or reduction of use of alcohol that has been taken repeatedly, usually for a prolonged period and or in high doses.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:1
Signs and symptoms usually appear within 6-24hrs after cessation of drinking.
- Mental confusion
- Sleep disturbance
- Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache.
- Mood disorders etc
COMPLICATIONS: Alcoholic liver disease (ALD), Cirrhosis of liver (CLD), Hypertension (HTN), Stroke etc
GENERAL MANAGEMENT: Gradual decrease in intake of alcohol. Yoga, exercise, meditation.
- Syphilinum: Hereditary tendency to take alcohol. Antisocial, feels depressed as if going to insane or being paralyzed. delirium at night. Craves alcohol. Tendency to heavy drinking;Alcoholism.
- Quercus: It takes away the craving for alcoholic and antidotes the effects of alcohol. Fistula in Alcoholics.
- Sulphuric Acid: Craving for alcohol. Water causes coldness of stomach, must be mixed with liquors. Hiccough. Irritable, unwilling to answer.
- Ranunculus Bulbus: Bad effects of alcohol, results in delirium tremens, spasmodic hiccough, convulsions. Quarrelsome. Depression with desire to die.
- Strophanthus Hispidus: Alcohol craving. Diminishes the craving for spiritus liquor slowly but surely.
- Avena Sativa: It has selective action on nervous system, tremors, chorea, paralytic weakness, confusion of mind. Insomnia- sleeplessness, especially of alcoholics.
- Selenium Metallicum: They desire for brandy and other strong drink. Alcoholics with chronic liver affections. Sleeplessness with lascivious thoughts.
- Zinc Metallicum: Alcoholism, cannot tolerate small quantity of wine, hunger at 11am.trembling and twitching of various muscles. Constant motion of leg and feet, can’t keep still.
- Sterculia Acuminata: Alcoholic craving. Promotes appetite and digestion and lessens the bcraving for liquor.
- Capsicum: Abstainers from accustomed alcoholics. Prostration and poor digestion of alcoholics. Sleeplessness, delirium tremens, depression with suicidal thoughts. Craving for stimulants, thirsty , if drinks causes shuddering.Sore throat in smokers and Drinkers.
- Agaricus muscarius: loquacity, delirium characterized by singing, shouting, muttering. Tremors, injury to himself. Trembling, twitching, jerking of muscles. Chorea amel during sleep. Thirsty, eructation alternating with hiccough. dyspepsia with pain in liver region.
- Ichthyolum : alcoholism when nothing will stay on stomach. Disagreeable taste, burning sensation, very thirsty. Nausea. Increased appetite.
- Apomorphinum: Combined alcoholism, with constant nausea, constipation, insomnia, delirious headache, extreme emaciation, hysteria. Violent inclination to vomit.
- Kola: Remedy for drinking habit. It promotes appetite and digestion and lessens the craving for liquor
- Naya k D, Arora S, Singh U, Borah N, Thakur JN, Khurana A, Nair KR, Gupta J, Singh H, Kumar R, Nayak C. Managing acute alcohol withdrawal with Homoeopathy: A prospective, observational, multicentre exploratory study.
- Global status report on alcohol and health 2018.world health organization.2018.pp72,80.
- Clarke J H. Guaiacum officinale. A dictionary of practical material medica. First Indian.vol 1. New Delhi: Jain publishers; 1978.852-856.
- Boericke W. Guaiacum officinale. Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica.9e. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 1984.279-280
Dr. Sachin , MD Scholar, Department of Materia Medica (Hom.) , Dr. M.P.K Homoeopathic Medical College, a constituent college of Homoeopathy University, Jaipur.
Dr. Akash Gupta , MD Scholar, Department of Materia Medica (Hom.) , Dr. M.P.K Homoeopathic Medical College, a constituent college of Homoeopathy University, Jaipur.
Dr. Sudeepti sharma , MD Scholar, Department of Materia Medica (Hom.) , Dr. M.P.K Homoeopathic Medical College, a constituent college of Homoeopathy University, Jaipur.
Dr. Neha sahu , MD Scholar, Department of Materia Medica (Hom.) , Dr. M.P.K Homoeopathic Medical College, a constituent college of Homoeopathy University, Jaipur.