Both men and women can suffer from hernias which can , if neglected become life threatening . It is a fact that 0.5 % of the Indian population suffers from hernia , contrary to common belief , a hernia is not gender specific ; it can be experienced by both men and women .
What Is Hernia ? : It is a protrusion of an organ or tissue through a weakened area in its containing wall , it can be congenital or traumatic in origin dangers of not treating a hernia . It can in incacerate and this can be followed by strangulation which is a life threatening condition .
Different Types Of hernia : the most common is the inguinal hernia , which is in the groin area , protrusions elsewhere on the abdominal wall are called femoral and umbilical hernia , both men and women can get hernia , but it is more common in men . Inguinal hernias in adults result from strain on the abdominal muscles , which have been weakened by age or other congenital factors , the types of activities which cause hernia are :
- lifting heavy weights
- sudden twist , turn or muscle strain
- marked gain in weight , causing pressure on abdominal walls
- chronic constipation
- repeated attacks of cough
this is why athletes and people involved in labour intensive / heavy action are prone to hernias .
The signs and symptoms of inguinal hernia :
- visible bulge in the scrotum , groin or abdominal walls
- feeling of weakness and pressure in the groin
- a burning feeling in the area of the bulge
- a gurgling feeling
Few tips on how we can prevent hernia :
- use the correct lifting techniques
- keep the upper back straight and the lower back in a neutral position , don’t bend forward from the waist to lift
- bend your knees , then let the arms and legs take the weight , you can also tighten the buttocks and abdomen to further support your back .
- keep the objects to be lifted as close to the body as possible
- never lift heavy objects above your shoulders
- never attempt to lift anything that is obviously too heavy for you , when you are lifting some thing heavy , turn your feet , not your back , do not turn or twist the body .
- always use a stool or ladder to reach items above your head
- try to prevent constipation and do not push too hard during bowel movement and urination
- stop smoking , especially if you have a chronic cough
when the intestines descend from the abdomen down to the scrotum , it is termed hernia , , the belt is essential to check it .
Homoeopathy Medicines :
Left sided hernia accompanied by constipation —-nux vomica
Right sided hernia —-lycopodium
For left sided hernia —-lachesis
When there is pain around navel —belladonna , sulphuric acid , calc. Carb , silicia , are also advised .