International Youth Day is commemorated every year on 12 August. In 1999, in its resolution 54/120, the General Assembly endorsed the recommendation made by the World Conference of Ministers Responsible for Youth (Lisbon, 8-12 August 1998) that 12 August be declared International Youth Day. The Assembly recommended that public information activities be organized to support the Day as a way to promote better awareness of the World Programme of Action for Youth, adopted by the General Assembly in 1995 (resolution 50/81).
The Focal Point on Youth selects a theme for the day often with input from youth organizations and members of the UN Inter-Agency Network in Youth development. It also organizes a virtual commemoration of the Day. The Programme encourages youth around the world to organize activities to raise awareness about the situation of youth in their country.
Due to need for inclusive support mechanisms that ensure youth continue to amplify efforts collectively and individually to restore the planet and protect life, while integrating biodiversity in the transformation of food systems. With the world’s population expected to increase by 2 billion people in the next 30 years, it has become recognized by numerous stakeholders that simply producing a larger volume of healthier food more sustainably will not ensure human and planetary wellbeing. Theme of International Youth Day 2021 is, “Transforming Food Systems: Youth Innovation for Human and Planetary Health”, with the aim of highlighting that the success of such a global effort will not be achieved without the meaningful participation of young people.
Let’s Celebrate the International Youth Day Together!!!!!
Theme of past years:
- IYD 2020 – Youth Engagement for Global Action
- IYD 2019 – Transforming Education
- IYD 2018 – Safe Spaces for Youth
- IYD 2017 – Youth Building Peace
- IYD 2016 – Road to 2030: Eradicating Poverty and Achieving Sustainability
- IYD 2015 – Youth Civic Engagement
- IYD 2014 – Mental Health Matters
- IYD 2013 – Youth Migration: Moving Development Forward
- IYD 2012 – Building a Better World: Partnering with Youth
- IYD 2011 – Change Our World
- IYD 2010 – Dialogue and Mutual Understanding
- IYD 2009 – Sustainability: Our Challenge. Our Future.
- IYD 2008 – Youth and Climate Change: Time for Action
- IYD 2007 – Be seen, Be heard: Youth participation for development
- IYD 2006 – Tackling Poverty Together
- IYD 2005 – WPAY+10: Making Commitments Matter
- IYD 2004 – Youth in an Intergenerational Society
- IYD 2003 – Finding decent and productive work for young people everywhere
- IYD 2002 – Now and for the Future: Youth Action for Sustainable Development
- IYD 2001 – Addressing Health and Unemployment
- First Observance of International Youth Day 2000