Author: Prof. (Dr.) Goutam Das M.D. (Homoeopathy)
[Abstract: This article deals with the understanding of the common concept of the meaning of Career with the context of the value of a Homoeopath in our society, on the light of the teaching of our Organon of Medicine & Homoeopathic Philosophy that, whatever it maybe the Career having the nature of works if it’s taken as a work of worship then we can achieve everything we need for our life. Homoeopaths have had to be perceive, the difference between Career and Mission, biological needs and the duty as well as the responsibility, the value of devotion of life for the benefit of mankind are also expressed in this article.]
Image of the Theme of the Topic (Images.app.goo.gl)
Introduction: Career is an occupation undertaken by a person for a considerable period of times and it provides the opportunities for one’s progression in social and economic status, as well as self-realization along with the security of foods, shelter and health of individual with dependences and respect.
- Actually, we can’t choose our Career. Career chooses us, as per our needs, maturity and the quality of the conceptions towards life.
- Career is the word that’s often being misunderstood by the common people that it’s just attending the material gains by hook & cock to succeed in life. But the word ‘Occupation’ means the act of undertaking of a mission as career, which will be a work of worship and that will provide saturated feelings of wellbeing, as well as satisfaction and peace in life.
Homoeopathy as a career: Today we would like to discuss our so called boring but most essential subject, about Organon of Medicine. Before starting lecture I would like to question all of you, do you know who are eligible to read the sacred book, “Organon of Medicine”?
Dr. Samuel Hahnemann  clearly mentioned in the preface of the first edition of his, “Organon of Medicine” that the reader of this book must overcome three negative qualities and possess two positive qualities in their character
NEGATIVE qualities are:
1) Indolence; that mean lazy in nature.
2) Love of ease; that means like to enjoy easy going life, try to attained-acquired or earned easily.
3) Obstinacy; that means prejudice for fixed ideas, rigidity in character.
POSITIVE qualities are:
1) Freedom from prejudice; means liberal, rational & flexible; free from obstinacy or rigidity.
2) Untiring zeal; that the endless enthusiasm, the devotion of life for the mission.
According to Dr. Herbert Roberts: 
1) If he is lazy and … an easy way to earn a living?
2) Does he look … its honorable place in the community or as a position to be … secure … in society?
3) Has he an ambition to be … a great surgeon or bacteriologist?
4) Is he thinking first of the possible financial returns?
- Sorry homoeopathy offers them little.
HOMOEOPATH MUST POSSESS: 
1) Unselfish desire to serve for sick humanity.
2) Stability of character, that homoeopathy is founded upon natural laws, it is as basic and eternal as the hill … he must be able to follow those laws … hold close to them regardless of the pressure of influence.
3) Quality of patience, in homoeopathy, “when in doubt, don’t” and, “everything possible has been done for the patient”.
4) He must be a student of people.
5) He must be willing to become a student of philosophy.
HOMOEOPATHY OFFERS: 
1. The Independent Mind.
2. A life to service to Humanity.
3. Knowledge of Individualization.
4. Knowledge of Holistic approach.
5. Knowledge of the difference between Medicine & Public Health Service.
6. Knowledge of Drug Proving
The Independent Mind:
The independent mind gives an opportunity to seek continually new verifications of the natural laws upon which this system of medicine is based.
A life of service to Humanity:
A life of service to humanity, and it is the only method of healing that surely sets the sick man and sick woman on permanent road of recovery.
Knowledge of Individualization:
Homoeopathy treats the sick individual; it is therefore a specialty.
Knowledge of Holistic approach:
Homoeopathy considers the man as a whole, not just his individual parts.
Knowledge of difference between Medicine & Public Health Service:
The community of health will be guarded against epidemics borne by water, milk or other food supplies, or born in insanitary or unhygienic conditions. Medicines don’t overlook towards proper hygiene and sanitation, but with a deeper view of the needs of the individual himself, rather than the needs of the community. Homoeopathy seeks to relieve the individual as much as possible from the heavy burden of the hereditary tendencies he or she carries, and to guard against increasing this load by enabling his vital energy to provide its own immunity against disease, following the fundamental laws. He must differentiate Isopathy the identical and the meaning of similar the homoeopathy.
Knowledge of Drug Proving:
That’s the study of drugs action upon healthy human beings.
Dr. J. T. Kent says  –If a doctor has not overcome;
- The cries of the family.
- The criticisms of the friends.
- The threatening of his pocketbook.
- Of his bread and butter.
He will not practice Homoeopathy very long. An honest man does not fear these things. The doctor who violates the law also violates his conscience, and his death is worse than the death of the patient.
Image of the Qualities for success Career (Images.app.goo.gl)
According to Dr. H. Roberts: 
1) If he has the hearty desire to serve, he may find fame and riches at his door as well as the keen satisfaction of knowing that he has brought to his clientele the gift of healing in the safest, gentlest and most rapid manner.
2) The community will return a comfortable livelihood, maybe not the spectacular fortune offered in some lines of endeavor, but a competence which will enable him to keep his family in a well-earned place in the community.
3) Homoeopathy as a profession that carries a challenge. The possibilities of its art are infinite.
4) What future does homoeopathy has to offer you? Young man, what do you have to offer homoeopathy?
Master S. Hahnemann says: 
1) The most sacred of all human occupations (Not a career), the practice of the true system of medicine is Homoeopathy.
2) In aphorism 9 Dr. Hahnemann mentioned in healthy condition of a man about the higher purposes of our existence.
3) The physician who enters on his work in this spirit becomes directly assimilated to the Divine Creator of the world, whose human creatures he helps to preserve, and whose approval renders him thrice blessed.
Dr. J.T. Kent says: 
1) Dr. Hahnemann’s Organon is a strong, rich source of knowledge, but it is long in sentence, and very condensed, and difficult for many to understand.
2) When one has fully comprehended the principles, then he can read Hahnemann’s Organon with the deepest satisfaction. The subject is so deep, so difficult to comprehend.
3) Once, a most scholarly, deep-thinking man said to me (Kent), “I have read your (Kent’s) Philosophy five times and am still reading it, and now I begin to understand Hahnemann’s Organon.”
4) To learn the Materia Medica , one must master Hahnemann’s Organon, after which the symptomatology and the Organon go “hand in hand.” 
5) Homoeopathic practice is a spiritual practice; “NO MAN KNOWS. GOD only knows the length and breadth of the intricate and unfathomable mystery”…….of HOMOEOPATHY. 
Dr. Ishwardas Tarkas and Dr. Ajit Kulkarni quotes in, “A select in homoeopathic materia medica”: 
“Homoeopathy is a mission, not a career. It calls for a commitment, not a mere acquaintance. It lends a finger to the forlorn, forsaken, frustrated”.
Dr. Hahnemann says: 
“When we have to do with an art whose end is the saving of human life, any neglect to make ourselves thoroughly masters of it becomes a crime”.
Dr. Stuart Close says: 
“This is homoeopathy in a nutshell. It is a shell which some find hard to crack, but when cracked it is found to be packed full of sweet and wholesome meat with no worms in it.”
Remarks:(1 – 3) 
1) Homoeopathy is both an art and a science. The successful homoeopathician must be both an artist and a scientist. His work must be both artistic and scientific. Theory and practice must go hand in hand. Technique must be governed by definite principles. Performance must be consistent with profession.
2) Homoeopathy is defined as The Science of Therapeutic Medication, a department of general medicine, like anatomy, physiology and pathology.
3) Dr. “Hahnemann speaks of ‘physics, chemistry and medicine’; they (Allopaths) said; ‘medicine is applied physics and chemistry,’ and founded medicine on these two sciences.” Dr. Hahnemann founded medicine, not on physics and chemistry, but on the universal laws of Life and Motion, related to the science of Logic, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and other sciences.
4) Ph.D. means Doctorate of Philosophy in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics etc. every subject start and end in Philosophy and from the very beginning of the study of Homoeopathy is within Philosophy; hence, Homoeopathy is the level of the education of study of Ph.D. and the knowledge of a general Graduate in Medicine is the minimum qualification of a Homoeopath and when we are become dissatisfied with the knowledge of General Medicine, then Homoeopathy offer us some things more; and we may purchase or may seal degrees & certificates for homoeopathy but finally Homoeopathy chooses us as a Homoeopath, until we are become perfect ourselves as Homeopathically.
5) The so-called homoeopaths often show either of their limitation or ignorance or both of Homoeopathy by calling themselves intelligent, scientific and blaming others that they are lying and calling them ‘False or Spiritual Homoeopaths’.
6) We see the so-called homoeopaths are often telling people the things and theories written in the books; but for an ideal Homoeopath, he should mature himself and speak of only those, what he sees and experiences; the truth must be visualized by us before our mind to practices.
7) Homoeopathy is an Occupation, a Mission, a Commitment of Life; as a devotee we the Homoeopaths will take our work of worship for the benefit of the suffering humanity and achieve all the success with Supreme Wisdom and a complete maturity of Human Life.
8) To be governed by these principles of Homoeopathy is to be governed by truth; to be governed by truth is to be governed by law and to be governed by law is to be governed by Omnipotence. 
9) Every student of Homoeopathy is a student of nature, studying the phenomena of natural laws, and scientists in the laboratories of the force world … Law is a something to be hated by an unlawful man; but, to the one who loves law, it speaks in whispers, yet loud enough to be heard by that humble listener, and in a language that is not foreign to him, yea, though often it is only in a symbol or a cipher. 
- Hahnemann S, Organon of Medicine; translated by R.E.Dudgen, W.Boericke; Indian edition, Calcutta, Roy Publishing House, 1961[1,7]
- KENT JT, Lectures on Homoeopathic Philosophy; Memorial edition, B.Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 1990
- KENT JT, New remedies, clinical cases, lesser writings, Aphorisms & Precepts; Indian Edition, Sett Dey & Co. Calcutta, 1973
- Kent J.T., LECTURE ON HOMOEOPATHIC MATERIA MEDICA. 2nd INDIAN ed. CALCUTTA-14: PUBLISHED BY R. SINHA ROY; ROYSINGH & COMPANY, 110, ACHARYA JAGADISH BOSE ROAD; MARCH 1970 
- Roberts HA, The Principles and Art of Cure by Homoeopathy; B.Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 1992[2, 3, 4, 6]
- Close Stuart, The Genius of Homoeopathy; B.Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, August 2002 [13, 14]
- A comparison of the Chronic Miasms; Phyllis Speight; Noel Puddepatt
- Oushadh pariyachay; N.Bandhyapadhya; HPCO, Calcutta, 12th edition
- Allen JH, The Chronic Miasms Psora and Psuedo-psora; Volume 1 & 2; B.Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, Reprint Edition: 1998; ISBN 81-7021-082-8; BOOK CODE B-2006 [15, 16]
Prof. (Dr.) Goutam Das M.D, (Homoeopathy)
Dept. of Organon of Medicine, Smt. AJSHMC&RI, Mehsana, Govt. of Gujarat – G. I. A Institution.
Ex. Academic Director & Principal In-Charge, NHMCH&RC, Agra (U.P.)
Ex. Examiner, Homoeopathy University, Jaipur, (Rajasthan)
Ex. Faculty & Examiner (U.G. & P.G.) Dr.B.R.A.University, Agra, (U.P.)
Ex. Faculty & Examiner JRN RVHMC, Deemed to be University, Udaipur, (Rajasthan) Ex. Senior House Physician, PCHC&H, Kolkata (W.B.)