Dr. Nandini Dadhich1 and Dr. Dilip Dadhich2
- MD (PGR), Dept. of Materia Medica, Dr.M.P.K.Homoeopathic Medical College, Hospital & Research Centre, Jaipur (A constituent unit of Homoeopathy University, Jaipur, Raj. 302029) India.
- M.D.(Hom.), Professor and HOD, Dept. of Physiology & Biochemistry, Dr.M.P.K.Homoeopathic Medical College, Hospital & Research Centre, Jaipur (A constituent unit of Homoeopathy University, Jaipur, Raj. 302029) India.
A cough is rapid expulsion of air from lungs, clearing throat and the breathing passage from foreign particles, microbes, irritants, fluids and mucus. It is also known as tussis. It is a reflex act and can occur voluntarily or involuntarily.
MECHANISM OF COUGH: It occurs in three phases –
- Increased pressure in the throat and lungs with the vocal cords closed.
- An explosive release of air when the vocal cords open, giving a cough its characteristic sound.
Cough may be acute or chronic.
Causes of acute (short-term) cough: The infection is in the upper respiratory tract and affects the throat. This may be due to:
- Common cold
If it includes lower respiratory tract, the lungs are infected, and/or the airways lower down from the windpipe. This includes:
Causes of chronic (long-term) cough:
- Post nasal dripping
- Medications like ACE inhibitors
Diagnosis: Cough is a symptom not a disease. A visit to doctor may help to rule out something serious underlying the cough. Following diagnostic tools may help find out the cause underlying if any –
- X-Ray chest
- Sputum test
HOMOEOPATHIC INSIGHT TO COUGH INFLUNCED BY CERTAIN BODY POSTURES –
BETTER ON CHANGING THE POSITION IN BED – borax, ignatia
BETTER ON SITTING ERECT IN BED – phosphorus
BETTER ON BENDING FORWARD – eupatorium perf, spongia
BETTER LYING ON BACK – aconite, lycopodium, manganese
BETTER LYING ON HANDS AND KNEES – eupatorium perf
BETTER LYING WITH HEAD HIGH – cinchona
BETTER FROM WALKING – drosera
COUGH FORCING THE PATIENT TO BEND DOUBLE – agaricus, coffea, hydrogenium, theridion
COUGH ON BENDING FORWARD – podophyllum
COUGH FROM STANDING IN WATER – nux moschata
COULD NOT LIE DOWN, HAS TO SIT BENT FORWARD – iodum
COMPELLING THE PATIENT TO SLEEP IN CHAIR – croton tig
MUST PUT ARMS ON THIGHS WHEN COUGHING – niccolum met
WORSE ON RAISING THE ARMS – bryonia, ferrum metallicum, tuberculinum
WORSE ON SRETCHING ARMS – lycopodium
WORSE ON CHANGING THE POSITION IN BED – arsenic, conium, kreosote
WORSE ON PUTTING HAND OUT OF BED – hepar sulph, rhus tox
WORSE ON BENDING FORWARD – causticum, digitalis
WORSE ON BENDING HEAD BACKWARD – bryonia, rumex, silicea
WORSE LYING ON BACK – arsenic, kali carb, natrium mur, nux vomica, phosphorus, sepia
WORSE LYING ON LEFT SIDE – phosphorus
WORSE FROM MOTION OF ARMS – ferrum met, natrium muriaticum
WORSE FROM MOTION OF HEAD – belladonna
WORSE WALKING IN OPEN AIR – arsenic, phosphorus
- Schroyens F. Synthesis, 8th ed. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) LTD; 2001.
- Murphy R, ND. Homoeopathic medical repertory, 3rd revised ed. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) LTD; 2010.
- Boericke W. Boericke’s New Manual of Homoeopathic MateriaMedica with Repertory. Third revised and augmented edition based on 9th edition. Noida, India: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 2018
- Murphy Robin. Lotus Materia Medica. #3rd edition. Noida, India: B. Jain Publishers(P) Ltd; 2006