BHMS, M.D (Hom)
Assistant Professor, Yenepoya Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital
Urinary tract infection is problem common in children. It affect 1-3% of boys and 3-10% of girls .in males most UTIs occur during the first year of life ,in female the first UTI usually occur by the age of 5 yrs. They are important cause of morbidity, can result in renal damage, often associated with vesicoureteric reflux.
Etiology: UTIs mainly caused by Escherichia coli which causes 54-65% of all UTIs. Others are Klebsiella, enterococcus, staphylococcus saprophytics, proteus, pseudomonas.
Predisposing factors: In 30-50% of children recurrent UTIs are observed, usually within 3 months of the first episode. Predisposing factors for recurrent UTI include
- female sex
- age below 6 months
- obstructive uropathy
- severe vesicoureteric reflux (UVR)
- voiding dysfunction
- repeated catheterization
- Receiving immunosuppressive therapy
Infection localized to bladder (cystitis) and upper tract (pyelonephritis). Most UTI below 5 years of age involve the upper tracts.
Neonates shows features of sepsis with
- Poor weight gain
Older infants show
- Unexplained fever
- Frequent micturation
- Occasional convulsions
The following features suggest urinary obstruction:
- Crying or straining during voiding
- Dribbling, weak or abnormal urine stream
- Palpable bladder
UTI is considered complicated in case of :
- High fever (>390 C), systemic toxicity
- persistent vomiting
- renal angle tenderness or raised creatinine
UTI is considered simple in case of :
- low grade fever
- absence of symptoms of complicated UTI
SOME IMPORTANT HOMOEOPATHIC MEDICINES
- Belladonna-Retention, acute urinary infections, scanty urine with tenesmus. Incontinence, continuous dripping. Profuse and continuous.
- Ars.- Urine scanty , burning, involuntary .Bladder feels as if paralyzed .Albuminous. Feeling of weakness in abdomen after micturition.
- Rhus.tox-Turbid dark, highly coloured, scanty urine, with white sediment .
- Benz.ac- Dribbling of horse urine like strong smelling urine, highly coloured. Unable to hold urine, may be along with painful gouty nodosities.
- Canth-Intolerable urging and constant desire to pass urine , with great burning , scalding and great tenesmus. Urine is passed in drops. Gonorrhoea with great swelling and with burning in the urinary track.
- Terb.-Dull aching pain in the renal region with burning while passing urine. Urine is passed in drops with drawing and distress. Bloody , dark , smoky ,smelling like violet and contains albumin and black coffee ground like sediment. Retention of urine.
- Nelsons textbook of paediatrics
- Ghai essential paediatrics
- Therapeutic guide for quick prescribing by Kamal Kansla , Rakesh Kaushal
- Practice of homoeopathy at home by Dr. BB Jadhav
- Textbook of practice of medicine with homoeopathic therapeutics by S.R.Kohli, Davie Dayal, Sapra
- Therapeutic guide for quick prescribing by S.R. Kohil, Davie Dayal , Sapra
- Boericke’s new manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica with repertory.