Dr Riswana A, BHMS, MD (Hom.)
Assistant Professor, Dept of Organon of medicine
Yenepoya Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital
Our master says that the similar remedy is able to cure the patient because in nature too it has been observed that a weaker disease is automatically removed if the patient contracts a similar but stronger disease. He calls this phenomenon – the homeopathic law of nature or the nature’s law of cure. So it is necessary to understand what this law explaining and how our medicines cure the diseases.
This depends on the following homoeopathic law of nature which was sometimes, indeed, vaguely surmised but not hitherto fully recognized, and to which is due every real cure that has ever taken place:
“A weaker dynamic affection is permanently extinguished in the living organism by a stronger one, if the latter (whilst differing in kind) is very similar to the former in its manifestations.”
Criteria’s for nature’s law of cure
- They should be dynamic affections
- They both should be similar in their manifestations
- But they should differ in kind
- The later one should be stronger than the former one
- They should permanently extinguished
- They should meet together in living organism
Both are dynamic
A dynamic affection is one, which primarily starts as a derangement of the vital force or a disturbance in the thermodynamic equilibrium of our body. They both have to be dynamic. If the later one is not of dynamic origin then it cannot remove the former one in any way.
Both are similar in manifestations
It should produce similar symptoms. If it is non- similar in origin then it will not be able to bring out any cure.
One stronger; one weaker
Dynamic affection has to be stronger than the former one otherwise it will not be able to show its manifestation.
Whilst differing in kind
Whilst: at the same time
Differing: not to have the same characteristics
In kind: in a similar way, equivalently, reciprocally, similarly
Homeopathy is based on the similarity of the dynamic affect and the symptoms.
Permanently: in a permanent manner (lasting for an indefinitely long time), lastingly (in a way that persists), Forever (for all time for all eternity, for an infinite amount of time)
Extinguished: to destroy or abolish something, to obscure or eclipse something, referring to something that has been eliminated
The stronger force should permanently extinguishes the weaker affection when it meeting in a living organism.
Meeting together in a living organism
The both weaker and stronger; dynamic affections should be meet in a living organism; at the same time.
Nature’s law of cure happens
Organism as the living individuality can neither receive two similar dynamic affections at the same time nor it can react to them simultaneously. It has to choose one or the other. So it chooses the one which is stronger of the two in affecting the vital force.
There are very few diseases which are similar in manifestations. So it is not applicable to all diseases. It is possible only in a few cases of similar diseases. It is highly coincidental that both are similar in kind &both meet in the individual at the same time. Even though they may meet in an individual simultaneously the later one should be stronger than the former one. The later disease might remove the former disease but that disease can be more dangerous than the former one. It is very coincidental & conditional for cure to occur naturally.
Homoeopathic Medicines: Similar and Stronger Force
Dr. Hahnemann found such sources which are capable of dynamically deranging the living organism in those substances which are termed as Medicines. Whenever we give medicine to the individual, it creates an artificial disease inside the body. The medicines which we give are chosen on the basis of the symptom similarity. So it produces a similar disease in the body.
Artificial disease stronger than Natural disease
Diseases are cured & overcome by suitable medicines. The susceptibility of the living organism for natural disease is comparatively less than that for medicinal diseases. So this similar & stronger artificial disease removes the weaker natural disease permanently. Now the Vital Force is free from the Natural disease. The renewed energy of the Vital Force is then capable of overcoming the artificial disease. Hence the Vital Force is free from both Natural as well as Artificial disease. Hence the person gets cured. Unlike Natural diseases, the medicines acts all the times, under all circumstances on every living body & excite in it the symptoms peculiar to it, so that evidently every living human organism must always invariably be affected by medicinal disease (§ 32).
Understanding of the footnote
In this footnote Hahnemann has tried to explain the concept of how a strong similar affection overshadows or annihilates a weaker similar affection. He has given examples as Physical affection, Moral aspect, Disease aspect. These are just similes to make one understand the concept in a very basic and simple way.
- In the early dawn the brilliant Jupiter vanishes from the gaze of beholder. Both Jupiter and sun gives light. Both affects the optic nerve of observer but sunlight is stronger than the light of Jupiter, so during the day time Jupiter is invisible.
- In situations replete with fetid odors, it is usual to effectually offend the olfactory nerve. If the person having snuff, which is stronger so no music, no sugared cake which act on olfactory nerves can’t cure its disgust.
- Gauntlet: two parallel rows of attackers who strike at a criminal as punishment.
- Any challenging, difficult or painful ordeal, often one performed for atonement or punishment.
During the war the soldiers cunningly stifle the piteous cries of him who runs the gauntlet from the ears of the compassionate bystanders.
- Shrill: high pitched and piercing
Fife: a small shrill pipe, resembling the piccolo flute used chiefly to accompany the drum in military music.
Commingle: to mix, to blend, To become mixed or blended
Cannon: a complete assembly, consisting of an artillery tube and a breech mechanism, firing mechanism or base cap, which is a component of a gun, howitzer or mortar.
The shrill notes of fife are commingled with the roll of the noisy drum. The fear of army brought by the distant roar of enemy’s cannon.
Maladies: any ailment or disease of the body; especially, a lingering or deep seated disorder.
- The mourning and sorrow will be effected from the mind by account of another and still greater cause for sorrow happening to another even though it be a mere (false) fiction.
- The injurious consequences of too great joy will be removed by drinking coffee, which produces an excessively joyous state of mind.
- Nations like the Germans, who have for centuries been gradually sinking deeper and deeper in soulless apathy and degrading serfdom, must first be trodden still deeper in the dust by the Western Conqueror, until their situation became intolerable; their mean opinion of themselves was thereby over-strained and removed; they again became alive to their dignity as men, and then, for the first time, they raised their heads as Germans.
When in a living being two similar diseases meets together if both of them are dynamic in nature and in that one is weaker, one is stronger; the stronger disease cures the weaker disease permanently.
This law of nature is confirmed and verified by each and every true observation in the world, so the fact is ultimately established by our master.
- 5th edition of Organon of medicine – Dr Samuel Hahnemann
- 6th edition of Organon of medicine – Dr Samuel Hahnemann
- Oxford English dictionary