What is sputum production?
Sputum production is a defense mechanism of the body like inflammation and fever.
Through this body wants lungs to get rid of the waste got accumulated during inhalation.
Environmental irritants which enters the lungs through nose stimulates the goblet cells leading to overproduction of mucus that is called to be sputum or phlegm and this sputum comes out while coughing.
There are various types of sputum considering its consistency and colour which helps in differentiating the disease patient suffering from.
Table showing different types of sputum, associated pathology, related miasm and the homoeopathic medicines in which they are found:
|Type of Sputum||Associated pathology||Miasm||Homoeopathic medicines|
|Purulent||Infectious – pneumonia, bronchiectasis and abscess||Psora, Syphilis||Anac,Ars, Carbo-an,Cod,Dros,,Ferr,Kreos,Merc,Natr-c,Nitrum,Ph-ac,Plumb,Pus,Rhus,Stann,Staph,Sulph|
|Grayish||Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma||Syphilis||AMBR,Ars,Cal,Cina,Kreos,Nux-v,Sepia|
|White||Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma||Psora||Amm-m,Arn,Ars,Bar,Bor,Bov,China, Coc-c, Ferr,Kali-b,Laur,Mezer,Petr,Senega,Sil,Stann|
|Pinkish||Pulmonary oedema||Psora||Carbo- h|
|Bloody||Malignancy, pulmonary embolus, clotting disorders, infection||Psora||Amm-c,ARN,Ars,Bell,Bor,Bry,Cactgr,Calc,Canth,,Carbo-v,China,Con,Croc,Dig,Dros,Dulc,FERR,Ham,Hyos,IPEC,Laur,Lyc,Mag-c,Merc,Mezer,Mill,Nat-m, Nit-ac,Nitrum,PHOS,Plumb,PULS,Rhus,Sabina,Secale,Sepia,Sil,Zinc..|
- Clark. H.G. Lee & Clark’s Cough &Expectoration.NewDelhi : Indian Book & Publishers; 2001.
- Pate RP. Chronic miasms in homoeopathy & their cure with classification of their rubrics/ symptoms in Dr. kent’s repertory (Repertory of miasms).kottayam, kerala: Hahnemann homoeopathic Pharmacy; 1996.
- Allen JH. The Chronic Miasms: Psora and Pseudopsora, Vol. I&II Reprint ed new Delhi: B Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd; 2006.
- Benerjee SK. Miasmatic Prescribing. 2nd extended ed. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers Pvt.Ltd; 2011.
- Robert HA. The principles and art of cure by Homoeopathy. 3rd reprint ed. New : B Jain Publishers Pvt.Ltd; 2007.
- Hahnemann S. the Chronic diseases their peculiar Nature and Their Homoeopathic cure.Low Price Edition. New Delhi: B. Jain Pulishers Pvt. Ltd.; 2002.
Dr Hemlata Baswal
MD (PGR, Department of Repertory, Homoeopathy University, Jaipur)
Dr Anjana Kumari
MD (PGR, Department of Organon of Medicine, Homoeopathy University, Jaipur)
Dr A.P.S. Chhabra
MD (PGR, Department of Practice of Medicine, Homoeopathy University, Jaipur)