Definition: A temporary increase in Average body temperature of 98.6°F (37℃)
1.Intermittent :It is a type of fever in which there is an interval where Temperature is elevated for several hours followed by an interval when Temperature Drops back to Normal.
- It is usually occurs during the course of an Infectious disease.
Ex. Malaria ,Kala-Azar
2.Remittent : It is a type Of fever in which temperature does not touch the baseline and remains Above Normal Throughout the day.
Ex. Typhoid fever
3. Hectic Fever : Either of the Two patterns can be called hectic .When the difference between peak and through Temperature is great (1.4℃ or more )
Because of wide swings in Temperature ,Are often associated with Chills and sweat.
4. Relapsing : It is a recurring febrile disease caused by several species of the Spirochete Borrelid and Transmitted by lice or Ticks.
Ex. Borrelia Parkeri
Classification of Fever
A fever can be
- Low grade, From Or 38.1 – 39℃
- Moderate ,From or 39.1- 40℃
- High ,From to or 40.1-41.1℃
- Hyperpyrexia,Above 106°F
- Epstain-Barr virus
- Non – Infectious:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Systemic Lupus Erythematous
- Giant cell Arthritis
- Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Malignancy :
- Colorectal cancer
- Drug induced
- Thromboembolic disease
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
- Shivering,Shaking & Chills
- Aching muscles and joints or other body aches.
- Intermittent Sweats or excessive sweating
- Rapid Heart rate or Palpitation
- Lack of appetite
- If fever is high( Extreme irritability,confusion ,delirium and seizures.
Length of time:
A fever can be
- Acute, if it is lasts less than 7 days.
- Sub-Acute ,if it is lasts up to 14 days.
- Chronic or persistent ,if it is Persists for over 14 days.
- High fever,Restlessness,Great thirst for Large quantities of water.
- Face Flushed ,Exposure to cold wind
- It should only be given in early stages.
- Fever with thirst and hunger ,Feels warm all over the body after meals.
- Talkativeness when the Temperature is high.
- Best suited medicine for Typhoid fever.
3. Arsenic Alb
- Fever with restlessness
- Thirst for small quantities of water at short interval.
- Weakness and prostration
- During heat state ,he feels that boiling water is going through blood vessels.
4. Bryonia Alba :
- Fever Accompanied by Dry cough with pain all over the body.
- Wants to lie quiet,does not want to talk to anybody.
- Thirst for large quantities of water at long interval.
- Head Remedy For malaria
- It has chill but without thirst during the first two stages.
- There is thirst before and after chill.
- Give in the form of mother tincture in Acute cases whereas in chronic cases give in higher dilutions.
6. Eupatorium Perf.:
- Bone pain as if broken
- Chill begins in the back and may radiate to other parts
- Intense thirst during the heat
- Heavily coated tongue with bitter taste.
- It is an excellent remedy for Septic fever.
- The bed feels hard,feet sore and bruised.
- Pulse abnormally rapid,out of proportion to the Temperature.
- Specific for Puerperal Fever
- Frequent call for urination as fever comes on.
8. Rhus Tox :
- The sensation of cold in cold stage and heat in heat stage piercing through the blood vessels.
- A dry hacking cough before the chill,burning in forehead and eyes.
- Restlessness which is relieved by movements.
9. Gelsemium :
- It should be given in early stages of typhoid.
- There is no thirst,but the headache is troublesome.
- Drooping eyelids,Trembling ,chilliness ,Drowsiness and prostration.
- Bilious fever with vomiting,burning in stomach,Nausea,violent thirst with chill,intermittent with Dropsical swellings.