Definition: Depressive disorders are characterised by persistent low mood ,loss of interest and enjoyment and reduced energy and they often impair day to day functioning.
There is a genetic predisposition to depression.It is mediated by variants in a large number of genes.
Depressive episodes are often but not always triggered by stressful live events including medicine illnesses.
Associated biological factors include hypofunction of monitoring neurotransmitter systems , including 5-HT and Noradrenalin and abnormalities of the hypothalamic pituitary Adrenal (HPA)Axis.Which results in elevated cortisol levels that do not suppress with dexamethasone.
- Clinical features
- Depressed mood is the most characteristic feature.
- Loss of pleasure in life and loss of interest in oneself and others.
Low self-esteem and ideas of hopelessness of excessive or inappropriate Guilt.
Psychotic feature ( Hallucinations,delusions) may be present ; such as psychotic depression.
- Sleep disturbances may occurs as initial insomnia ,early morning wakening or hypersomnia.
- Fatigue,h headache and various other pains.
Poor concentration ,psychomotor retardation and reduced libido.
- Loss of energy or fatigue nearly every day.
- Unreasonable feelings of self approach or excessive or inappropriate guilt every day.
- Insomnia or hypersomnia every day .
- Thoughts of suicide or self esteem.
- Loss of confidence.
- Significant loss of weight when not dieting or weight gain (Change of more than 5% of body weight in a month)
- Diminishes interest from all the activities.
- Feels sad, Hopeless and having depressed mood every time.
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION.
- Intense Hopeless depression and disgust for life.
- Constantly dwelling on suicide.
- Profound Malencholi.
- Depression so great as to drive victim towards suicide.
- Mental depression after childbirth.
- Aversion to life . over excited ,Angry or anxious about trifles.
- Feeling of hopelessness.Love failure .Best medicine for long lasting depression.
- Medicine for maniac depressive Psychosis.
- Having suicidal thoughts ,fear of going insane.
- Feels as if life is unreal , everything seems unreal Desperate.
- Sad,tearful and fearful.
- Very cruel ,Nervous and impulsive.
- Difficult concentration and Hopeless of recovery.
- Malencholi with suicidal thoughts.
4. KALI BROM
- After seminal emission; with painful delusions.
- Sleeplessness and dread of impending destruction of all near him, with fear and anxiety.
- Delusion and Feeling of moral deficiency.
5. CADMIUM SULPH
- Depression with state of resentment ,hopelessness , lack of grit .Use 200 dilusions.
- Medicine for depression with skin affection.
- Should be given Twice daily
- Depression with debility,faintness and aching in left iliac region
8. PHOSPHORIC ACID
- Depression which takes the form of extreme indifference, listlessness , Apathetic etc.
- General debility and depression of vital power.Great sadness with a fixed idea of approaching death.
10. AMBRA GRISEA
- Depression of spitits alternating with vehement of Temper Due to old age.
Note: Bachflower remedies
Are also useful for Depression
(Used to treat mild depression).