Dr B. S. Suvarna
B.A, D.I.Hom[Lond.], M.I.H, PhD,PGDPC(Psychotherapy & Counselling, USA)
MAMTHA HOMOEO CLINIC
Jeevan Shanthi, Near AIT Girls Hostel, Bypass Road, Kalyan Nagar, CHIKMAGALUR 577102
Karnataka State, INDIA
Cystitis is an inflammation of the lining of the bladder and urethra-a tube leading out of the bladder – that gives rise to a burning sensation on passing water , increased frequency of urination and low abdominal pain . It prominently affects women , although occasionally men do get it . it can occur in young girls but it is usually a condition of sexually active women , it can come on very suddenly and start with lower abdominal pain , often the individual suffers severe attacks and it can lead to kindly infection . children occasionally get cystitis and this should be treated by an orthodox doctor .
The infection is commonly due to a bacterium called E-coli which normally lives in the bowel and gets transmitted to the bladder , either through poor hygiene or during sexual intercourse . the symptoms of cystitis need not necessarily mean there is an infection , as they can also occur as a result of the bruising that may arise during intercourse or after child birth . cystitis also arises if there is a vaginal infection , thrush and more seriously gonorrhoea . it can occur through irritation caused by vaginal deodorants and because of diabetes , diet does not play a part in predisposing to attacks of cystitis . as does the wearing of tight jeans and underwear
1.burning sensation and pain on passing urine
2.frequent urination and pain just at the end of passing urine
3.low abdominal pain and occasionally low back pain
4.temperature and shivering fits
5.cloudy , smelly urine with occasional blood
DURING AN ATTACK
- drink a large glass of water or a cup of mild chamomile tea , three or four times a day
- pass urine in a warm bath if very painful
- stop consuming alcohol , coffee and tobacco use hot water bottles to alleviate lower abdominal pain
- change the acidity of your urine by adding a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to a glass of water and drinking the solution 3 or 4 times a day . apply live yoghurt to the vagina ,this helps to relieve distress as well as to recolonize the vagina with the right bacteria
- avoid citrus juices and acid fruits .
- drink cranberry powder dissolved in water frequently (one tea spoon in a cup of water)
- BETWEEN ATTACKS, change your under wear if it is too tight and avoid tights.
- maintain a high standard of hygiene after using the lavatory .
- always empty your bladder before and after intercourse . change from tampons to sanitary towels .
- always go to the lavatory if you feel the need to pass urine –do not hold back .
- use a lubricating jelly during intercourse , if the vagina is very dry and experiment with different positions as the pressure on the bladder and vulva will vary .
- attention will be paid to diet , especially to the reduction of acid content , sugar and white flour products .
- irrigating the vaginal area with warm water after going to the lavatory or having intercourse is recommended –you should take care to wipe the area from the vagina to the anus and not vice versa , drink vegetable juices –carrot and raw apple mixed are particularly good .
- take propolis tablets –one tablet three times a day . allergy tests may be done to exclude specific items , and candida may sometimes cause this problem . much the same advice would be given .
- specific herbal remedies include couch-grass , which aids the excretion of urine and heals the lining of bladder and buchu which acts as an antiseptic and restores the damage lining .
- Echinacea is a good herb to restore resistance to infection . especially in the pelvic area . in an acute attack , drinking large amounts of yarrow infusion will help and barley water (obtainable from food stores ) is a traditional remedy for its soothing duretic effect.
CYSTITIS AND HOMOEOPATHY
The word’ cystitis ‘means inflammation of the bladder . the earliest known prescriptions for its treatment were inscribed on an Egyptian papyrus over 3000 years ago . The most common symptom is pain when passing urine . this can be relatively mild or excruciating , because the bladder is irritated . the sensation of “wanting to go “ often occurs before the bladder is as full as usual , and most women feel that the bladder is not completely emptied even when they have just been to the toilet . some women with cystitis also pass blood with their urine . cystitis is commonly caused by infection and this can usually be cured with a short course of antibiotics . however homoeopathy can be extremely useful to treat the symptoms while a woman waits for the result of a urine culture , cystitis rarely causes fever , but if this does occur especially if there is also pain in the kidney region medical advice is essential .
THE URETHRAL SYNDROME
Easy access to laboratory diagnosis of urinary infection has alerted doctors to the fact . that as many as half of women with cystitis symptoms do not have a bacterial infection . but are experiencing irritation in the urethra . the urethra is the short tube that connects the bladder to the outside and lies very close to the vagina . urethral irritation can follow sexual intercourse . when there has been some minor bruising or can be caused by vaginal infection , homoeopathic medicines can be extremely useful . if you suffer from regular bouts of cystitis symptoms, you may be helped by the suggestions.
Almost all women will have sudden attacks of acute cystitis and /or the urethral syndrome from tome to time while recurrent attacks of cystitis should always be investigated . you may be helped by one of the following medicines .
Frequent urination with burning , stinging pain in the bladder . lack of thirst , a tendency to swollen hands and feet –“apis mellifica “
Sudden onset of symptoms , severe , incacitating burning pain , that is worst while urine is being passed , the urine is often blood stained –“cantharis “
Onset is less intense , but there may be blood in the urine at an early stage –“mercurius corrosives “
Pain is worst at end of urination , burning urination and a frequent urge to urinate occurs –“sarsaparilla“
Symptoms start after sexual intercourse or after a catheter has been passed into the bladder , a feeling that a drop of urine remains in the urethra even after urination –“staphysagria “
Many women suffer from milder recurrent (chronic )bladder problems , including an urge to urinate , discomfort during urination , bladder pain and incontinence . Incontinence is an embarrassing topic and few women wish to discuss it . even with their doctors , but almost half of all women over the age of 25 are occasionally incontinent and one in ten women has a serious problem . If you are regularly incontinent , consult your doctor as the problem can often be cured or at least improved . Help can also be obtained from various associations . if you have symptoms of chronic cystitis , you should check with your doctor , in case you need a course of antibiotics , before trying the homoeopathic medicines suggested .
Painful urging , burning pain after urination and the bladder does not feel empty , urge to pass urine in the night —-“Lycopodium “
Bladder pain that is worse after urinating or if urination is delayed . copious urine occurs . even when not thirsty . Involuntary urination happens , especially in pregnancy , worse when coughing –“pulsatilla “
A leak of urine occurs when laughing , sneezing or coughing , there is frequent urinating and sudden urging , pain in the lower abdomen if urination is delayed –“sepia “
AVOIDING RECURRENT ATTACKS OF CYSTITIS
1. Always drink lot of water 1.5-2.5 liters /3-5 pints a day
2. wear cotton panties .
3. let the air circulate around the perineal area by avoiding tight trousers and wearing open –crotch tights , if possible use tampons rather than sanitary towels
4. shower instead of bathing if you do have a bath,do not stay in for a long soak or add bath salts or antiseptics to the water .
5. never use soap on the perineum.
6. avoid vaginal doches or deodorants .
7. after opening your bowels wife your self from front to back to avoid infection or use a bider
8. always empty your bladder before and after sexual intercourse to flush out the germs that cause cystitis and can double in number every 20 to 30 minutes.
9. drink cranberry juice as a preventive measure . the germs like to attack themselves to the bladder wall and cranberry juice seems to act by making the lining of the bladder too slippery .
10. In a few women , the symptoms of cystitis are caused by food intolerance , if you are prone to cystitis and suffer from other allergies , it may be worth keeping a diary of what you eat to see if you regularly get cystitis after certain foods .
RELIEVING THE SYMPTOMS OF CYSTITIS
1 .Start taking your homoeopathic medicine
2 .drink 570 ml /1 pint of water and then aim to drink a further 290 ml / 0.5 pint every half an hour this helps to wash out the germs .
3 .relieve the symptoms by making your urine alkaline . to do this 5 ml / 1 teaspoonful of sodium bicarbonate to your drinking water every 6 hours (avoid vitamin c and cranberry juice these make the urine acid )
4 .get into a warm bath or fill a hot water bottle with warm water and put it on your lower abdomen or between the thighs . If the symptoms do not settle in 24 hours with these self help measures , if you are feverish , if the pain moves to the kidneys , consult a doctor.
First aid treatment during an attack includes –“cantharis “(every 2 hours )once .
others are –“staphysagria “for cystitis following intercourse and –“sarasaparilla “for pain on urinating (once in 2 hours )
A more long term remedy would require a homoeopathic consultation “ferrum phos in the early stages followed by “kali phos”