Dr Shalini Ankushe
H.O.D (Department of Homeopathic materia medica)
D.K.M.M. Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- Coronavirus pose serious health threats to humans & other animals.
- Incidence peaks in winter, taking the form of local epidemics lasting few weeks or months.
- Coronaviruses causes acute upper respiratory tract infection. (Common cold)
- Coronavirus, the virus knows as 2019-n CoV causes serious respiratory illness & has so far infected 24,324 people in China & killed at least 496. (till date)
- The infection is thought to have originated in a food market in Chinese city of Wuhan, which have been lockdown with travel into and out of the city is restricted :23 January 2020
- Spherical or pleomorphic enveloped particles containing single stranded (Positive –senses) RNA associated with a nucleoprotein within a capsid comprised of matrix protein.
- The envelope bears club shaped glycoprotein projections.
Coronavirus are classified together on the basis of the crown or halo like appearance of the envelop glycoproteins & characteristic features of chemistry & replication, most human coronavirus fall into one of two serotypes:- 0C43-like & 229E-like.
The virus enters the host cell & the uncoated genome is transcribed & translated new viruses form by budding from host cell membrane.
Transmission is usually via airborne droplets to the nasal mucosa. Virus replicates locally in cells of the ciliated epithelium causing cell damage & inflammation.
• Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats and bats.
• Spread from person to person amongst close contacts (about 6 feet).
• Via coughing & sneezing
• Close personal contact such as touching, shaking hands.
• Touching an object or surface with virus on it, then touching this hand to mouth, nose or eyes before washing it.
Symptoms may appear in as few as 2 days to as long as 14 days after exposure.
This illness usually causes:
• Running nose
• Sore throat
• Shortness of breath.
• A general feeling of being unwell.
Human coronavirus can sometimes cause Lower Respiratory tract infections such as pneumonia or bronchitis.
More common in people with cardiopulmonary disease with weakened immune systems infants & older adults.
Laboratory tests on respiratory specimens & serum to detect coronavirus.
There is no vaccine for coronavirus
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water or with an alcohol based hand sanitizer.
- Keep your hands and fingers away from your eyes, nose & mouth.
- Avoid close contact with infected people.
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink fluids
- A humidifier or steamy shower can also help to ease a sore and scratchy throat.
Along with personal hygiene tips, the communique advised that patients ingest various herbal concoctions to strengthen the immune system and other traditional medicines useful in the symptomatic management of coronavirus infection.
The Corona virus progresses as follows :-
1-Sinusitis = Merc sol + Phosphorus
2-Sore throat/pharyngitis = Belladonna
3-Fever =Ars alb /+- Aconite
4-Breathless(Lung fibrosis) = Bryonia
5-Terminal sinking patient =Camphor + Carbo veg
How to take:-
Depending on the severity& stage of symptoms, as is given above the disease progresses, choose the medication.
One needs to consider the general condition of patient, but as a general rule start with 30C every 1/2 hr, or hr or 2 hrs.
High potency 1M may be given 3rd day or once a week depending on severity.
Variation will be there as there is no stamp pad rule in Homeopathy.
Depending on constitutional selection some add on from repertoire:-
PHOSPHORUS, PULSATILLA, STANNUM, LACHESIS TUBECULINUM, KALI BICHROM, KALI CYNATUM, HYDRASTIS & ANTIM TART are good medications.
*(Merc sol +Arsenic alb very rapid pace of disease, especially with inflammation of lung)*
Miasm: *Tubercular miasm*