Psychological disorders pose one of the biggest health challenges today. According to one study, one out of five suffers from psychological disorders. The trend is rising. The common causes, apart from biological causes, are setbacks in life, grief, poor coping skills, faulty upbringing, high pace & high demands of modern life, complex social structure, rapidly changing human values, lack of role models, poor support system, influence of media etc. They affect the happiness and progress in life. Psychological complaints are rising alarmingly. The world needs a healing system, which has safe and effective treatment for such complaints. The answer lies in homeopathy. It is the most safe and effective treatment method of psychological complaints.
Adolescence (Latin adolescentia, from adolescere, to grow up) is the period of psychological, social, and physical transition between childhood and adulthood. As a transitional stage of human development, adolescence is the period in which a child matures into an adult. This transition involves biological (i.e. pubertal), social, and psychological changes. It is a time of rapid physical development and deep emotional changes which can be confusing and uncomfortable for child and parent alike, but most adolescence dominate the external pressures with quality friends, school achievements, social activities and a robust self image. In present times, adolescence are confronted with a challenging, vulnerable time in life with school and social pressures, extracurricular activities, etc. Cumbersome adolescence behaviors do not always kick-start at home, but can wobble the home and family.
Adolescence problems are surging day by day and are receptive to bad company and behave inappropriately. These years are a juncture of maturing physically, cognitively, getting to be more independent and becoming aware of how to fit in with peers. Friends become much more important than family. They have to keep pace to survive in today’s world of broken homes, dysfunctional families, unsafe sex, drugs, etc.
PROMINENT ADOLESCENCE PROBLEMS
1) Sibling rivalry: This is common and healthy, however, it can get uncontrollable due to stressors like unusual jealousy, parents in divorce, peer pressure leading to violent behavior.
- i) Peer Pressure: Most parents are not able to comprehend the profundity of peer pressure effects. Peer pressure can be positive and negative. Positive peer pressure is healthy and can make your child feel good about his decisions. With negative peer pressure, teens may give into wrong things like smoking, drinking, drugs, stealing, or sexual relationships, in order to liked or fit into a group.
2) Body image: Most adolescence struggle with their self-esteem during their period. Girls may feel coerced to be thin and boys may feel that they do not look big and muscular enough. Negative comments from parents or peers can have repercussions on an adolescence body image and self-esteem.
3) Dating and abusive relationships: If your teen is showing physical signs of injury, is having habitual mood swings, with emotional outbursts, starts using drugs or alcohol or is isolating herself from family and friends, there is a likelihood she is in an abusive relationship.
4) Eating disorders: This is a psychological problem, whether it is obsession with limiting or overindulging in food, and is an attempt to gain control, get attention or raise self-esteem. The three main eating disorders are Anorexia or self-starvation, Bulimia or forced vomiting after eating large meals, and Binge eating or compulsive emotional eating.
5) Shoplifting: Shop lift under peer pressure, for a thrilling experience, to rebel, to feel a sense of control, to get attention or to comply with their addictions of drugs, alcohol, nicotine.
6) Depression: Depression could be an outcome of breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, parents getting divorced, struggle with school grades, bullying, peer pressure, etc. Teenagers react to their depression by getting into trouble with alcohol, drugs, sex or being rebellious.
7) Suicidal tendencies: All the above issues can provoke towards suicidal tendencies. (Fig: 1-– shows maximum suicides by common mental disorders.) (Fig: 2 – Age-specific suicidal rated of both the sexes. Graph by World Health Organisation (WHO), 2012).
HOW TO RECOGNISE DEPRESSION IN ADOLESCENCE
Signs of depression
- Persistent sadness and hopelessness.
- Withdrawal from friends and activities once enjoyed.
- Increased irritability or agitation.
- Missed school or poor school performance.
- Changes in eating and sleeping habits.
- Indecision, lack of concentration, or forgetfulness.
- Poor self-esteem or guilt.
- Frequent physical complaints, such as headaches and stomachaches.
- Drug and/or alcohol abuse.
- Thoughts of death or suicide.
- Behaving hostile, violent, defensive.
- Truancy .
- Lack of motivation.
- Detaching from family and friends.
- Habitual mood swings.
- Hurting self, others, animals, property.
- Abusing alcohol, drugs, smoking.
- Sexual indulgence.
- Running away from home.
TRUE CURE FOR PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS
“The Spirit of the Homoeopathic Medical Doctrine” written by Samuel Hahnemann in 1813, and found in “The Materia Medica Pura“. This is a wonderful dissertation on and the healing arts. Most interesting is Hahnemann’s application of the principles of cure to psychology. Vide Materia Medica Pura, page 15.
“Such a spiritually reacting being is our living human organism, which with automatic power expels from itself a weaker derangement (disease), whenever the stronger power of the homoeopathic medicine produces in it another but very similar affection; or in other words which, on account of the unity of its life, cannot suffer at the same time from two similar general derangements, but must discard the primary dynamic power (medicine), more capable of deranging it, that has a great resemblances to the former in its power of affecting the health (its symptoms). Something similar takes place in the human mind”.
The Advantage of
- It is effective in treating psychiatric diseases and gives peace of mind.
- It improves alertness and functioning of the mind. It does not make mind dull.
- It is safe for all ages and conditions. It has no side effects.
- It does not create dependence.
- It is proactive and prevents sickness from developing.
- It is suitable for both acute and chronic phases of sickness.
- It values the significance of person’s thoughts, feelings, behaviour as well as life incidents & circumstances.
HOMEOPATHIC APPROACH TO ADOLESCENCE PROBLEMS
The homeopathic constitutional modus operandi can come to the aide of adolescence problems associated with physical and emotional stress. Homeopathic treatment is affordable, safe, natural, effective and permanent. Homeopathic remedies precisely act at the level of mind and body together, to offset emotional disruptions such as anxiety, anger, insecurity, obsessive traits, jealousy, paranoia, depression, neurosis, etc,. Homeopathic remedies help you appreciate your own value by building self esteem and helping develop a better sense of right and wrong.
Some homeopathic remedies that are commonly used to treat adolescence problems are given below.
Ignatia amara: This is a matchless remedy for grief and loss caused by a break up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, a move to a new school, loss of a parent or parental divorce. These patients cannot bear tobacco and coffee. They are alert, nervous, apprehensive, rigid and have noticeable mood swings.
Staphysagria: This remedy is indicated for persons whose poor self-image is due to a past hurt or insults that is followed by subdued anger or grief. They throw temper tantrums, have a deep-seated fear of rejection, are very sensitive to rudeness and are unable to fight for their own rights. These patients usually have a history of sexual abuse or emotional abandonment by their parents.
Tabacum: This remedy is recommended to patients who want to quit smoking and need help with withdrawal symptoms, such as irritability, nervousness, nail biting and insomnia. These patients look pale, unhappy or depressed and are forgetful and discontented.
Chamomilla: This remedy is suited to children who are short tempered, oversensitive, vindictive, restless, destructive, impatient and intolerant. These patients are always moaning because they cannot have what they want and cry during sleep with frightful dreams. They are addicted to coffee and narcotics.
Colubrina: This remedy is recommended for adolescence with weight problems and for those who want to reduce cravings and encourage better eating habits. It is also for patients who are sexually very active, and are addicted to stimulants like coffee, alcohol, tobacco, drugs (like opium). It is an excellent remedy for hangovers. These patients are always fault finding, very sensitive to noises, odors, light and they don’t like to be touched.
Aurum Metallicum: This is an exceptional remedy for patients who are depressed, cynical, hopeless, and suicidal. These patients are very low-spirited, unresponsive, have a weak memory and are always blaming themselves. They are rebellious and self destructive. They are extremely slow in doing things, are oversensitive to noise, excitement, confusion, and spend sleepless nights sobbing aloud with frightful dreams. They have an increased appetite and thirst.
Psychological problems in adolescences are found very commonly now-a-days, because of that adolescence suffers physically, mentally and emotionally. These rapid developmental stage needs special attention and complete treatment on proper time where homeopathy helps successfully. Hope this article had given you inklings on how to resolve adolescence dilemmas with homeopathic support.
2– A HOMEOPATHIC APPROACH TO TEENAGE PROBLEMS—Hpathy Ezine ,March,2011
4–Article Journal, March, 1813, republished in Vol., ii, 3rd edition 1833. The Materia Medica Pura, Hahnemann, translated by Dudgeon, Volume I. B. Jain, New Delhi, page 15.
5–suicidal behaviour odds radio/ Pillai, A et al 2008 https://goo.gl/images/CEmnQL
6–age specific suicide rates/Worls Health Organisation,2012-https://goo.gl/images/RfD8mi
Fig: 1- shows maximum suicides by common mental disorders.
Fig: 2- Age specific suicidal rated of both the sexes. Graph by World Health Organisation (WHO), 2012.