Abstract: Diabetes today is a very serious issue to health care professionals, because number of patient gradually has been increased worldwide in successive years. Today we say it is a life style disorder. Modern medical treatment does not insure a prolong disease free period but it mainly does palliation of the disease whereas Homoeopathic approach does not treat the disease but patient as an individual being having a disease condition.
Basically Diabetes type 2 is a disease of late 50, but now days people below 40 yrs of age are suffering from Diabetes. We know or say it a life style disease, because no particular organism is found responsible behind this disease, but there are no of factors that is why diabetes is a multi factorial disease.
DEFINITION OF DIABETES ACCORDING TO WHO
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder of multiple etiology characterized by chronic hyper glycemia with disturbance of carbohydrate, protein and fat metabolism resulting from defects in insulin secretion, action or both
Types of Diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 1A ( immune mediated)
- Type 1B ( idiopathic)
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes mellitus
- Usually begins before the age of 40
- Body habitus is normal to wasted
- The onset of symptom is sudden with polyuria,polyphagia and polydipsia
- Characteristically the plasma insulin level is low or unmeasurable
Type 2 Diabetes mellitus
- Usually begins after the age of 40
- The typical patient is obese
- Detected in an asymptomatic person on a routine examination
- The plasma insulin levels are normal to high
Clinical features of Diabetes
- Polyuria with a trace of albumen and ketone bodies.
- The appetite is normal or excessive according to weight
- Loss of weight
- General symptoms such as lethargy, progressive weakness and ready fatigue
DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA HbA1c- 6.5% OR above
COMPLICATION OF DIABETES
- ACUTE METABOLIC COMPLICATION
- CHRONIC MICROVASCULAR COMPLICATION
- MACROVASCULAR COMPLICATION
ACUTE METABOLIC COMPLICATION
- DIABETIC KETOACIDOSIS
- HYPEROSMOLAR HYPERGLYCEMIC STATE
- LACTIC ACIDOSIS
CHRONIC MICROVASCULAR COMPLICATION
- DIABETIC RETINOPATHY
- CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE
- PERIPHERAL VASCULAR DISEASE
- CEREBRO VASCULAR DISEASE
THIS CAN BE CONSIDERED UNDER THREE STEPS
ESTIMATION OF TOTAL DAILY REQUIREMNT OF THE INDIVIDUAL PATIENT AFTER CONSIDERATION OF AGE, SEX, WEIGHT, ACTIVITY AND OCCUPATION OF PATIENT
A CALORY REQUIREMENT CAN BE CONSIDERED AS FOLLOWS
- SEDENTARY INDIVIDUAL 30K cal/kg/day
- MODERATE ACTIVITY 35Kcl/kg/day
- HEAVILY ACTIVITY INDIVIDUAL 40Kcal/kg/day
DEMAND OF CALLORIES MUST BE MEET BY PROPER PROPERTION OF CARBOHYDRATE, PROTEIN AND FAT
- CARBOHYDRATE 50- 60 %
- PROTEIN 10-20%
- SATURATED FAT < 10%
- POLY UNSATURATED FAT < 10%
- MONOSATURATED FAT 10- 15%
20% OF TOTAL Calorie FOR BREAKFAST
35% OF TOTAL Calorie FOR LUNCH
30% OF TOTAL Calorie FOR DINNER
15% OF TOTAL Calorie FOR LATE EVENING FOOD
- WE SHOULD NOT BE WORIED ABOUT THE TREATMENT AND PROGNOSIS WHEN A DIABETIC PATIENT COMES
- DISCUSS ABOUT THE DISEASE AND HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT TO PATIENT.
- WE SHOULD NOT DO BLOOD TEST FREQUENTLY
- DETAIL CLINICAL EXAMINATION WHEN PATIENT FIRST CAME TO US AND ALSO TO SUBSEQUENT VISIT WHENEVER WE FEEL NECESSARY
- WE SHOULD PUT AN EYE ON COMPLICATION
- WE SHOULD REFER THE PATIENT WHEN WE ARE CONFUSED ABOUT THE TREATMENT
- IF BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL IS VERY HIGH THEN BETTER TO START WITH SOME SMALL MEEDICINE
- IF AFTER TREATMENT BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL DOES NOT FALL DOWN WITH OUT SYMPTOMATIC IMPROVEMENT TAKE THE HELP OF OTHER THERAPEUTIC MEASURES
WHAT REPERTORY HAS TO SAY ABOUT DIABETES
Medicines are – BOV, HELON, LYC, PH-AC, PHOS, PLB, TARAENT, TER, URAN, CAL CARB, CAL PHOS, HEP, NAT SUL, NITRIC ACID, SULP
A CONCISE REPERTORY BY PHATAK
Rubric DIABETES MELLITUS
Medicines are – BOV, CARB-V, HELO, LYC, PHOS, PHOS- ACID, PLB, SUL, TARN, TERB, URAN-N
- BOILS SUCCESSIVE, WITH, NAT-P
- CHILDREN IN – CRATAE
- LUNG AFFECTION WITH- CAL- P
URINE- SACCHARINE – ARS, AUR, LYC, NAT-MUR, NAT- SUL, MERC, PHOS-ACID, SULP, THUJA
DIABETES AS PER HOMOEOPATHIC PHILOSOPHY
According to Allopathic system of medicine Diabetes cannot be cured, it can only be controlled.
- Quite possibility of remission, generally it takes place within 1 year, but it can come up to 5 years with diabetic diet and exercise. Even sometimes with medicine.
It is unknown to scientist why Remission took place to some individual with treatment and management
This we say homeopathically, susceptibility and can be treated by constitutional treatment. Until and unless Susceptibility is not satisfied by treatment, Diabetes is not curable or recovery is not permanent. Kents observations and Hearing law of cure are very important to study prognosis of the case.
Following observation of Kent can help in the treatment of diabetes
The amelioration comes first and aggravation comes afterwards
Either the remedy is superficial, only act as a palliative or patient was incurable
Medicine should be prescribed after re case taking, and if same observation appears very difficult to manage this patient.
6th observation is Short relief of symptoms
Medicine selected wrong
7th Observation is Full time amelioration with no special relief to patient
Blood sugar has been decreased up to a mark.
10th observation is new symptom appearing after the remedy
12th observation is symptom take the wrong direction
Medicine did the suppressive action.
Hering Law of cure
- Above downward
- Within outward
- Center to periphery
- Reverse order of appearance of symptoms.
Summary and Conclusion
Though Diabetes is difficult to Cure, even in some cases to control by Homoeopathic Medicines. We are in great hurry to stamp a case may be it is diabetes to say that it is cured once the patient reach to normal blood sugar level during treatment. It has been found that even with management and medicine patient’s blood sugar level found above normal where it had come to normal previously. Though it is difficult but not impossible to cure a case of Diabetes with Homoeopathic treatment. We have to be cautious regarding different possibilities in a case of Diabetes before to say it is cured. There is a great role of Constitution and constitutional treatment in Diabetes. Strict dietic management and follow up of patient for a long time is very important in treatment.
1- Kent J.T., Repertory of the Homoeopathic Materia medica. New Delhi: B Jain publishers (P) LTD; 2010
2– Boger C.M., Boger Boenninghausens Characteristics and Repertory. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers (P) LTD; 2011
3– KENT J. T., Kent’s New Remedies, Clinical Cases, Lesser Writings, Aphorism and percepts; India; B. Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi;1998.
4–Kent J. T; Lectures On Homoeopathic Philosophy; India; B. Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi;2003,
5-Mathew Aggarwal; Prep Manual for Under Graduate Medicine Second Edition; Elsevier
6- Boericke William, Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica with Repertory, New Delhi, Indian reprint (B Jain)